Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIMFIRE OPEN - TAC SOL UPPER OR VOLQUARTSEN

Diamond

Okay - all this talk open Rimfire Open guns in the other thread especially by JD and Hatchet since I shoot with them has got me going. Does anybody have, or shot, both the Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite upper vs. the Volquartsen ? I'm going to get a Volquartsen 22/45 lower but would like some feed back for the upper. I know the Pac-Lite is much lighter and I like the look of the red fluted barrel in the other thread, but would like opinions from those with experience or thoughts on both.

Edited by Diamond

Okay - all this talk open Rimfire Open guns in the other thread especially by JD and Hatchet since I shoot with them has got me going. Does anybody have, or shot, both the Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite upper vs. the Volquartsen ? I'm going to get a Volquartsen 22/45 lower but would like some feed back for the upper. I know the Pac-Lite is much lighter and I like the look of the red fluted barrel in the other thread, but would like opinions from those with experience or thoughts on both.

Hi there, I have a Volquartsen Scorpion with the 22/45 lower and 4.5" upper, I also have a VC MKIII lower and tacsol 6" fluted upper. A few thoughts depending on what you want to use them for.

-Tacsol upper is much lighter, I like this set up for steel shooting because its crazy light

-Tacsol upper requires a scope mount which adds some weight but I use a 90deg cmore mount and it gets very close to the bore which again I like for steel shooting

-iron sights on the tacsol upper are cheap but work fine

-threaded but finding compensators that align when tight are tough

-VC upper is of higher fit and finish, obviously constructed of higher quality

-VC is perhaps a tad more accurate so if you were considering true bullseye shooting, I would go this route

-high quality iron target sights

-integral rail which is nice because no scope mount required and it lowers the scope closer to barrel. Can be a disadvantage if you want to run a 90deg cmore mount like that is available for the regular drilled barrel mount holes (see above)

-the integral compensator that is available is very nice. It screws on and locks to the profile of the barrel so it wont slip off of center, very nice.

-i have dealt with both Scott and Nic Volquartsen and they are very friendly and accessible when it comes to customer service.

Eabco.com has the VQ LLV upper on sale right now for $299 without the compensator. Given how close this is to the price of a tacsol upper, its an easy choice for me.

If you are looking to build a pure speed, super lightweight steel gun and are very sensitive to the weight, get a 4" fluted tacsol upper.

hope this helps.

Edited by ksf141

This is what i did! They do both shoot great. I was surprised when i saw that deal on Eabco, you wont find one cheaper.

Youll need a new bolt, i recommend a ruger factory stainless mkII bolt (save cash instead of buying the VC bolt)

Easy...buy both, keep the one you like and give the other one to your spouse, kid, friend...make two people happy.

The price at Arthur Brown was just to good to pass up so I've ordered the Volquartsen upper, and grips were on sale also, so the process begins. Thanks so much for the heads up on the price ksf141. They were great to deal with and would certainly recommend for anybody thinking about it. They don't carry the ref lower but have ordered, also at a cheaper price than straight from Volquartsen

I have used and competed with both. They are both quality units and will serve you well. I know a lot of the good folks at Tacsol and have visited the factory. Quality people that make a great product. Same goes with Volquartsen. I am fortunate to be sponsored by Volquartsen and have been waiting a long time for the LLV upper. That, coupled with their lower frame unit, provides a reliable go fast gun with the best trigger I have used on a rimfire pistol.

Just keep looking for ammo....sigh! :roflol:

DougC