Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

offset red dot or iron sights vs 1x scope speed at close range.

JeremyV

Right now I am running a Vortex viper 1x4 scope and offset irons I did some testing and timing things yesterday and at 15 yards I was just as fast with the irons as the 1x scope so my question is why not run a 2x on the low end and 8 or 10x on the high end for long range and just use a 45% offset red dot or Sights for anything out to 35 or 40 yards?

At what distance do you think 2x is faster then 1x?

I am thinking that having a rifle with a 2-10x scope and one with a 1-6x would make the most sense then if you have a competition with lots of long range targets you can use the 2x-10x any of the comps with targets only out to 250 or 300 or very few long shots use the 1-6x.

All the small club events I have done don't have many long range targets however the big event I did in bend had quite a few longer shots and some small targets at 100 that were hard to see on 4x because of lighting and things.

Got me thinking a good 1-6x or 2-10x scope would have been nice. I've been working with my offset irons a lot and am getting way faster and think that for close shots I might even get faster then with my 1x scope and now I am trying to decided if that 1x is really needed.

My last club shoot I ran my scope on 3x or higher the whole event and had my best shoot ever and won by quite a bit. Of course this is just a small club shoot but still I am thinking hard about this.

Look forward to your replies.

Jeremy

PS lets pretend price does not play a role in any of this.

I thought about using a 2.5-10 on my open gun. Primarily because I can use an offset red dot. I haven't been to range where I would have benefited from the extra power on the top end though. The farthest range I have shot in competition is 300 yards.

I personally think that the 1-6 is the perfect price to performance ratio. A bushnell or vortex 1-6 are awesome. The 1-8s are nice but pricey. In my experience most people running the offset irons are just not good with them and seem to miss as much as they hit. If you go that route practice. I'd rather have one optic I will know everything about than trying to learn two. The best thing I ever did for my long range game was take an eight hour class from a seal sniper buddy of mine and buy the istrelok iphone app. I recently sighted in a bushnell 3.5-21 scope and I was surprised at how much the extra magnification didn't seem to make that much difference to my shooting.