Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DA/SA to DAO

mdh

So, I found myself in possession of a couple of small frame DA/SA Witnesses with slide mounted safeties and was considering the possibility of converting them over to Double Action Only (DOA). Any reason why this cannot or should not be done? It should be just a matter of mating the frame to the appropriate slide and then have a bit of internal magic done on them...right? I know, I know, a bit over simplified! Can the trigger pull be made reasonably lighweightish and smooth? Some of you may be wondering "WHY", so here goes:

1. I am not the biggest fame of slide mounted safeties, so why not?!?

2. I am a big fan of DAO Berettas (92/96D) and shoot them reasonably well inspite of the longish trigger pull.

3. I have an extra small frame .40 cal upper in the safe (hopefully, otherwise the begging will commence shortly!)

4. I am a glutton for punishment and just want to be different!

Seriously though, any reason why this should not be done? CZ had a CZ75 that was DAO, so why not have a DAO Witness!! I am not looking at getting this done for any specific division or discipline, just for some local fun comps and to be cool!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MDH

Take a look at the .40 upper you have, does it even have a firing pin block? Older it may not even have one, in which case you can remove the sear altogether. But if you do have the block and want to keep it I would suggest either cutting back the sear surface or grinding the hooks off the hammer.

If you remove the sear the trick will be keeping the sear cage pin in place since the long leg of the sear is what keeps it in.

You can also remove the slide mounted decockers if you want to still use those slides as well.

• 1 month later...

So, I was finally able to search through the safe to see if I can get this project moving, and guess what? No extra compact (or any for that matter) small frame slide hanging about! Not going to let that hold me up...much. What I would like to do is to take this:

7bf5c384-af53-415a-8d85-e68af67063e3.jpg

and turn it into this:

999752cd-7072-469a-8016-77e741543428.jpg

Question for the super knowledgeable...does an "extended" compact barrel exist?? I know, I know..and extended compact barrel would just be a standard sized barrel, right? Maybe, maybe not.

e6726692-c1ac-4a23-8ff8-35768a6cf49b.jpg

Comparing a standard size barrel (top) to the compact barrel (bottom) shows a difference in the lugs.

Sharp eyed readers will notice that this is indeed a Mod GT41, chambered in the ultra cool .41EA. I picked this up for a cool c-note a while ago hoping the kit still had the 9mm barrel (un)fortunately it did not, so here I am trying to turn a sow's ear into well, hopefully not another sow's ear! If anyone has an extra complete upper they would be willing to part with, let me know

As always, thanks for the advice.

MDH

Edited by mdh

If what you want is 9x19 small frame I definetly have it :)

It sounds like you meant to attach pictures to your last comment, if you'd like to email them to me I'll put them up: kneelingatlas@gmail.con

If I hear you right you want a compact slide with a standard length barrel? Do you plan to add a comp or maybe a can?