Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a limited gun.

whitea87

I have been beating myself up trying to decide between a 5.5 bushing or 5.5 sight tracker. I shoot ss right now and want to get into limited. So my question is this, is it a big adjustment to go from a ss gun one month back to a 5.5 sight tracker another? Is the sight tracker hype worth it?

I switch back and forth between shooting a 1911 in SS and a 6" 2011 in Limited (but not sight tracker) a couple times a year. To be honest, its not so much the gun that messes me up, its the remembering I don't need to reload every time I move in Ltd that takes me a few stages to get programmed into my brain!

It does take me a few dry-fire sessions to get used to the slight differences between the two grips (2011 is blockier), but that's fine tuning. Reloads with the 2011 are stupid easy after shooting SS for a while, but going the other way requires some dedicated practice to get used to shoving a skinny mag into a skinny hole.

To be honest, its not so much the gun that messes me up, its the remembering I don't need to reload every time I move in Ltd that takes me a few stages to get programmed into my brain!

Saw that happen with a shooter that was shooting SS for the last year and went back to Lim at one of the matches. For the first 2 stages he was reloading as if he was still shooting SS.

I shot SS for years before I switched to a limited gun, and the first stage I had to go back and get one of my mags off the ground to finish up! 8 move repeat is pretty ingrained, so when that buzzer goes off you have to remember to just shoot like crazy and reload at the set point.

I started with S/S for the first year, its a great way to learn this sport.

Shoot Limited now, and have a Swenson Safety on my Limited gun. my two biggest challenges going to Single Stack is that since I don't have a Swenson safety on there, my thumb tends to rub the slide (not good). The grip is smaller of course and they already talked about the small mags.

Sight Tracker or not isn't a huge deal to me.

My wife and I both have 5.5 sight trackers and I personally like the feel and balance better than a 5 or 5.5 bull barrel. But it's only personal preference. I would recommend shooting a few different models, if you can, before you decide.

• 2 weeks later...