Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clearing the registration in EZWS

Graham Smith

Our June match got rained out the morning of the match, so all the pre-registrations were in EZWS. I was wondering if there was a way to flush out the registrations and start over. I don't think it can be done but it's worth asking.

Graham, I'm not sure what you mean by "flush out". Creating a new match in EZWS is trivial, so how would deleting all the competitors (if that's what you mean) help much?

Creating a new match in EZWS is trivial, so how would deleting all the competitors (if that's what you mean) help much?

It would save the tedium of re-entering all the stage definitions, which shows me to be fat-fingered and error prone. :D

Yes, one of the little joys of EZWS is that that import and export formats are completely non-interchangeable. If you can export it, you should be able to import it.

How many stages do you have defined?

It's not a big bother to start another one, but as a database designer, I'm used to being able to clear things out of one file (i.e. delete all registrations) and start over with just tap of a button. Just thought I'd ask.

Just out of curiosity, I may try and do this from the back end just to see what happens. If it doesn't work, I can always start over.

I don't know why that button hasn't been removed. "Match Reset is no longer used. Click New Match on the File menu to create a new match."

Edited by jcwren

FWIW, I can connect to the SQLA database with a database tool and clear the Competitors table. I'm not 100% sure that entering a record in Registrations only creates records in this table. As far as I can see, it doesn't, but I could be wrong and creating a new database takes 5 minutes, so what the hell.

Sure about that, Bill? If the option is checked in the setup, new competitors will be added to the master names database, too.

Edited by jcwren

So don't check that option. :) Registering a competitor puts a record in the competitor table and from the individual match file standpoint, that's all it does. The checkbox fires a different routine to add the guy to masternames.db; we don't care about that, as we absolutely can delete names from that within ezws. Plus it seems like the more we depend on web-based registration like shootnscoreit, the less important masternames.db becomes.

That's how we're able to go in from an external app and by-god delete a mistaken entry from a match and have it work. Assuming, that is, you catch it immediately and haven't already registered some other guys after the bad one. That's also how the palm interface is able to go in and whack everyone before adding them back in from an incoming .csv file.

Edited by wgnoyes

That's how we're able to go in from an external app and by-god delete a mistaken entry from a match and have it work. Assuming, that is, you catch it immediately and haven't already registered some other guys after the bad one.

If you delete an entry after there are others, then one competitor number will be missing, but I'm not sure if that matters or not. But if it does then, I could probably renumber them. For that matter, I could probably also sort them and renumber them in sorted order. Or squad them then sort them. Etc. As long as no records are created elsewhere, I can probably do whatever I want.

OK, while we are on the subject of EZwinscore...

I have an issue, I get a message that 'Table 'masterlist' cannot be found.

It is in the folder, the db Masternames is there, I have reloaded EZ and run the updates.

I can import the registration and see all the info when I do, but I cannot register a shooter from the EZwin program's Competitor registration.

Um..... hmm. You been moving things around outside of control of the installer again? (Or was that someone else?)

I'd say find and copy off masternames.db to somewhere else, uninstall, and reinstall 4.0 and then install 4.13 on top of it, then copy back your backed up masternames.db over the new empty one, then open up a match file, import and run a classification update file to load the uspsaclasses.db file, and see if all this helps. Remember to run the setup as an administrator, and let it install to c:\uspsa instead of going to c:\program files, which became problematic starting with windows vista.

I may have the answer to this.

It matters less where the DB files are than it does where the program thinks they are. EZWS runs on an old version of SQLAnywhere which uses ODBC connections (yes, I know, too many abbreviations).

Open Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Data Sources (ODBC) You should see an entry for MasterName, double click that and go to the Database tab and check to see where it says the database file is. Change it to match the file location.

Edited by Graham Smith

What Graham said, with one addition. If you're running a 32-bit version of Windoze, you're golden. If you're running a 64-bit version, you'll need to run cmd.exe to get a shell, then "cd \windows\system32", then "odbcad32".

Otherwise, you'll get the 64-bit version of the ODBC administration tool, and you won't see any of your database names in the "System DSN" tab.