Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC rule question...

G17fan

Ok a friend is going to Canada to shoot an event and will be shooting his 1911 in the classic division and wants to know about if his techwell magwell will be ok. Rule #16 is a little misleading as to is the inside magwell dimension need to be no more thank 35mm or the outside?

16. Handguns must be based on and visibly resemble the classic 1911-genre design. This means a single-stack, one piece metal frame, and a dust cover (without an accessory rail) which has a maximum length of 75mm when measured from the leading edge of the dust cover to the rear of the slide stop pin. Magazine well openings cannot exceed a maximum outside width of 35mm. Compliance is checked by way of a 35mm wide, and at least 5mm deep, notch carved into the outside of the box, or by use of a ruler or caliper, as approved by the Range Master.

Any experienced info would help us.

Thanks.

A little off topic but, is your friend aware of the paperwork, registration, and fees required to temporarily import a restricted firearm into Canada? Handguns fall into the 'Restricted' category. He must contact the RCMP for the forms.

I remember looking at the forms and talking to RCMP when I was considering driving up for a match once. They are very helpful and will guide you through the process. They were even very good to remind me to check on the requirements to be able to re-enter the US.

Ok a friend is going to Canada to shoot an event and will be shooting his 1911 in the classic division and wants to know about if his techwell magwell will be ok. Rule #16 is a little misleading as to is the inside magwell dimension need to be no more thank 35mm or the outside?

16. Handguns must be based on and visibly resemble the classic 1911-genre design. This means a single-stack, one piece metal frame, and a dust cover (without an accessory rail) which has a maximum length of 75mm when measured from the leading edge of the dust cover to the rear of the slide stop pin. Magazine well openings cannot exceed a maximum outside width of 35mm. Compliance is checked by way of a 35mm wide, and at least 5mm deep, notch carved into the outside of the box, or by use of a ruler or caliper, as approved by the Range Master.

Any experienced info would help us.

Thanks.

You answer your question with the rule quote...

Or...........he could check with myself who has competed at the Canadian National in classic division about :

A: magwell issues

B: Getting firearms into Canada........as I get ready to leave for Canada for the Eric Graffuel class this weekend.....I think I may know a thing or two about this topic as I have written about it in Front Site as well.

Happy to help.