Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble with Super 1050 Swager

I'm having too much trouble setting this up correctly. I was going exactly by the instructions and turned down the die until it made contact, then slowly brought up the swager until I was able to seat a primer. Note, this is with military 5.56 brass.

This is what the brass looks like when I was finally able to seat a primer. To me, it looks WAY over-swaged, but the primer does seat tightly without crushing.

14520733682_2abefa1fc8_c.jpg

looks like a piece of primer still in the pocket or is that just a funky camera thing?

What does the tip of your swage rod look like?

Mine all come out very smooth, nothing like what you are seeing. You might have the top backup rod set to tight. I set mine until I see a tiny ring down inside the case from the top and then back it off every so slightly(maybe 1/16-1/8 turn), THEN I set the bottom swage rod. Takes me a few tries to get it going and I seat a primer on my single stage until I like the feel, extending the swage rod 1/16 of a turn each time.

I need to get me one of the Ballistics Fab primer gauges and then I wouldnt waste any primers at all setting it up.

It does look like a piece of a primer, but it definitely is not. The swage rod looks perfectly fine, just like when it was new.

I think I may have the backup rod too tight. I usually turn it down until it is very snug and don't back it out any.

To test them, I just use a spent primer.

The deprime pin is breaking the base of the primer and leaving the rim in the case. I've had this happen with 5.56mm and 9mm cases.

The swag rod has nothing to do with this problem.