Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Dillon 550B, not to reloading

I've been reloading for 4 or 5 years now, and have worked my way up from a RCBS RockChucker for everything to the RockChucker for rifle and a Redding T-7 for my handgun rounds. Over that time I have developed a couple of loads that work well in my handguns, and when the opportunity came up recently, I picked up a used but in great condition RL550B with 9mm coversion. The Dillon has now replaced the Redding T-7 on my bench, but before I get to making ammo, I wanted to make sure I give the press a once over. Watched a couple of YouTube videos for primer assembly swapping and caliber conversion swapping to get familiarized with basic assembly/disassembly. The press I have while it looks new, must be older as it doesn't the grease fitting zerk on the ram body, so will lubricate the ram with 10w30 as I have read recommended, and will wipe the sliding primer assembly with some Super Lube Dri-lube, apply some light grease to the holes on the pivoting arms, wipe down under shellplate with dri-lube, and put dab of grease under head of shell-plate bolt.

One question I had; should I wipe any of the sliding powder assembly (maybe sides) with dri-lube?

Anyother pre-operation tips/suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

post-54628-0-93298000-1403874422_thumb.j

That flat bar the primer assy slides on is actually teflon coated so little if any dry lube is needed. I believe some sprinkle a little graphite powder on it every now and then and it doesn't hurt anything.

Th primer bar is alum. and the plate ,as mentioned is coated.

The bar should be sanded flat which removes the paint.

Wipe everything down, parts and the area around the primer feed.

Do not lube. It will work just fine and stay a lot cleaner a lot longer.

Got my 550 basic disassembled and cleaned up this weekend. Also set up my RCBS dies, and Lee FCD last night, and managed to run just a couple rounds through it last night. The powder measure does manage to stay pretty consistent when measuring Unique. Still not 100% sure about the Lee FCD, as I am using slightly oversized cast bullets. They plunk tested fine, and I ran 4 through fromt he magazine fine, but will have to try out a test batch before cranking them out.

Edited by novalty