Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to now........Production

nagantino

I've been a participant in IPSC comps for a few years now. Recently I've moved into Production but my problem really has little to do with Standard or Production division.

The question I would like some advice on is ......wait for it......Speed or Accuracy. I've just finished going over the print-outs for the last 2 comps. The last was a Level 11 the one before a Level 11 also.

My position in the individual Stages of both Competitions was very similar. Good points but too slow.

After the first I was so dispirited I determined to improve. I came 24 out of a field of 34. I decided to forego speed and try to shoot A boxes in the next Comp which was last week. I did shoot A boxes but much slower. I came 23 out of a field of 35 in Production. No improvement and much frustration. Is it better to try to shoot faster and hope or ......what?

Isolate what you want to Improve and train for it....better yet Subscribe to Steve Anderson podcast and you will find good answers. ..... I had the same questions and Im finally getting good answers

The answer to the question 'speed or accuracy?' is YES.

As a rule of thumb, if you're shooting much more than 95% of the available points, you're probably going too slow unless you're winning. If you're shooting less than 90% of the points, you're probably not shooting accurately enough.

What you DON"T want to do is 'shoot faster and hope'. You want to learn how to shoot A's faster. If you are not dryfiring 30 mins a day right now, you are doing it wrong. If you *are* dryfiring 30 mins a day, you are doing that wrong too, somehow.

If you describe your practice and dryfire routine, many smart shooters will critique it and offer you suggestions on how to improve it. It's very easy to train wrong and waste time (ask me how I know!).

I personally have had the best success with Ben Stoeger's books. His brain seems to work similar to mine, so his methodology makes sense, but it's definitely worth looking at others.

I have also really been helped with getting friends to video my stages and then I've used my iphone to video 1 or 2 other shooters that are a bit better than me. It's interesting to see where they are making up the time. That gives me a better idea on what specific things to work on.

Good luck, be prepared to put some effort in and you will see results.