Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

w231 with 200 gr bayou bullets

Mike21STI

I have some 231 on the way and I was looking for load data on where to start I looked for data in the Lyman manual but it didn't have anything for 200gr Bullets. I want to work my way up to major with this combination. I'm not against loading long since I will be loading for a double stack. Any info would be appreciated.

Edited by Mike21STI

• 2 weeks later...

I have loaded many rounds with W231 and Bayou 200gr bullets, for my STI Edge..

Since the double-stack 2011 guns have such a tight tolerance, you have to load OAL at 1.2, which is long..otherwise they will not feed properly..

If I want a soft shooting load, I am at 3.9gr of W231 and that makes minor..

If you want to make major, go up to 4.3 or 4.4gr and it will chrono at 172pf..depends on your gun

I chrono'ed some 200gr Bayou's this weekend using HP38 powder which is the same as 231. I started at 3.9gr and went up to 4.3gr and all loads were 1.165". Using a M&P 40 with stock 5" barrel I got an average of 835fps at 4.3gr which gives a pf of 167. Weighing the 200gr bullets was a bit disconcerting. Most were 198gr with some down to 194gr, none of them measured 200gr. I was using the scale that comes with the RCBS Chargemaster combo. This puts the pf at 162 to 165 depending on bullet weight. Since the velocity is a little too close at 4.3gr and the bullets vary quite a bit in weight I am going to work up loads at 4.4 and 4.5gr to make sure I make major. If you are loading at 1.2" you may need more powder to make major.

What I took away from my chrono session is that Bayou bullets smell awful when shot and I finally found a major load that definitely feels softer. I had tried 180gr jacketed, plated and coated and they all felt the same. The only difference was the amount of powder used to make major. The coated used 0.4 gr less powder to make major, but the loads felt the same as jacketed or plated. The 200gr loads definitely felt softer and my drill times were reduced. Not a whole lot, but every little bit helps. I will be trying some 220gr after these 200gr run out.