Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 40s for subguns

md66948

Has anyone reloaded 40 S&W for FA MP5/40 subguns?

I haven't loaded any 40s yet. Plan to start soon on my 650. Will fire first reloads in HK, S&W, and Glock pistols. When they work fine I want to start feeding them into our MP5/40 subgun. The MP5/40 needs rounded flat points to function.

Any thoughts and/or experiences that I should know about?

Happy Fathers Day Everyone!

Dane

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had a bit of trigger time with full auto .40 MP5s but only with factory ammo. The guns ran fine with both FMJ and duty hollowpoints. As for reloads I would start out with book loads for oal, 180 grain FMJ bullets with the powder charge loaded to near max for reliable function. The guns have quite a generous chamber so if reloading brass fired out of an MP5 you'll probably need a U-die or push through die to make the brass useable in other guns.

Thanks Caspian Guy.

OP- I don't know anything about the HK FA subgun. I can't suggest much besides using fairly hard primers, maybe even small rifle primers and fairly slow powders at close to full power loads. But the only 3 round burst and FA carbines and subguns that I've fired were with factory loads paid for by our Uncle. Fairly newish brass couldn't hurt. Jacketed or heavily plated bullets might help keep the barrel clean at 600 rounds a minute or whatever. Probably more experienced shooters/reloaders will answer. I have a hard enough time hitting the target two times out of three.

Edited by jmbaccolyte