Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP2

Rush

Hi to all...

What's been the experience with SP2 and its FPS?

I had a batch of rounds loaded with SP2,

OAL : 1.258

SP2 : 9.2 grs.

Head: LSWC 123, 0.356 diam. ( I use 122 grs. to compute for PF)

My chrono data is:

1348, 1284, 1328, 1326, 1305, 1324, 1336, 1332

I'm trying to find out if the variation in speeds is really a SP2 characteristic. Haven't been able to get this to within a +/- 10 fps deviation at all.

Let me know your experiences with the powder. Or should I just switch to 3N38?

Kind Regards,

I agree with Little Bill. I ran SP2 in my 9x23 with 121 gr HAP for as long as I could find the powder. I loved it! Other than your 1284 chrono, the deviation looks to be right in the ballpark from my experience. I messed around with 3N38, a little, but am gonna try IMR's 7625. I can get a load that "feels" very similar to SP2, it can be found for a pretty good price if you look a little, and one improvement I've found over SP2 is MUCH better deviation on the chrono. I've had a five shot string run 8fps extreme spread, and less than 20 seems easily doable.

The sample standard deviation of your posted measurements is 19.8. Not fantastic, but not terrible either. I think of anything under 20 as pretty acceptable, and anything under 10 as excellent.

And just to beat my drum again, sample more rounds! 10 per load is enough for load development, but when you've found one you like you need to sample at least 30 to really nail down its characteristics.

Thanks lots. Glad to know its common. I came from 3N37 and the SD of that powder vs SP2 is less than 10 for sure.

I've been using SP2 for about 4 months now and this is just the latest chrono test data. From Match chrono's i get the same spread as well. I just wanted to nail down the problem if it was the powder or the "loader" (right.. blame the equipment :))

I may try 3n38. Its relatively at the same burn rate as SP2 but if it chrono's more consistently, and feels well, then i may change to that. THe thing with SP2 is that , in order to play safe, I end up loading to 170 pf just to play safe with the chrono stage. My last series of Match PF's were 170, 171, 167, 165 if I recall. I normally shoot 164 max PF.

Regards to all...