Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

disconnector in frame tunnel

kimberacp

the disconnector facing the trigger bow is somewhat above the surface of the frame where the magazine seats. when reloading a magazine with a case and with the hammer back, sometimes the rim of the case in the magazine will hit the exposed edge of the disconnector, releasing the hammer.

I can see the edge with the slide off and see the brass marks on the disconnector, when it is removed. I did sand it down a bit but still have the edge hit the case.

Is it because the trigger needs to move rearward a bit? my trigger has no tabs to bend for adjustment.

what would help????

thanks

Many years ago I had (have) a 1911 that had that problem. The gunsmith corrected it by peening the trigger bow at the front top edge with a punch to move it back a bit (sort of creating tabs. (as I recall).

Guy

If you look into the magwell opening of a fully-assembled 1911 Auto with the slide locked back, you can see the next surface that I want to talk about. (See figure #1).

You will see the leading edge of the disconnector hangs slightly into the magazine well opening at the rear of the frame. When a loaded magazine is inserted into the frame, the edge of the top cartridge can come in contact with that bottom edge of the disconnector. This problem is more common with the large diameter rim on the .45 ACP cartridge. As we lighten the trigger pull and reduce trigger and sear movement, this contact between the cartridge rim and the disconnector can cause the hammer to fall and the pistol to fire. Remove material from the disconnector as shown in figure #1 to keep this from happening.
post-9226-0-63983300-1402034084_thumb.gi

If you look into the magwell opening of a fully-assembled 1911 Auto with the slide locked back, you can see the next surface that I want to talk about. (See figure #1).

You will see the leading edge of the disconnector hangs slightly into the magazine well opening at the rear of the frame. When a loaded magazine is inserted into the frame, the edge of the top cartridge can come in contact with that bottom edge of the disconnector. This problem is more common with the large diameter rim on the .45 ACP cartridge. As we lighten the trigger pull and reduce trigger and sear movement, this contact between the cartridge rim and the disconnector can cause the hammer to fall and the pistol to fire. Remove material from the disconnector as shown in figure #1 to keep this from happening.

attachicon.giffigure1.gif

do this on every 1911/2011 owned.

thank you, I understand and will do that. but just to mention the brass markings were right above that area your mentioning in figure 1. The flat area, I will look at it again and remove from the curved area.

thanks