Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open top end for steel?

ihocky2

Hi guys, I am very new to open guns and for now we'll say mostly ignorant. I have a 9mm 1911 that I want to build an open top end for to use for steel matches. Since it is only a single stack it will stay a steel gun. But every match I watch the open guns and think "Damn that looks like fun". So far my thoughts have gotten me to a new STI slide and an STI Trubor barrel with compensator installed.

Once I have the slide and barrel I know they have to be fit together and the slide to the frame. What other fitting is required? Anything to fit the barrel to the frame?

I have access to a machine shop and know a few guys who have lightened slides, so with a little research I am pretty sure I can cover that end on my own.

I there anything else special I should be aware of. One of the main things is I do not want to alter anything to the frame, I want to be able to put the stock top end back on and have it run like it does now. Is this a logical dream, or would I be better saving my pennies for a used gun?

• 4 weeks later...

""One of the main things is I do not want to alter anything to the frame, I want to be able to put the stock top end back on and have it run like it does now.""

if you don't want to alter the frame what are you going to use as sights ? most red dots need a scope mount.