Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need help with this 625

635 PCSO

The part that keeps the cylinder from falling from the gun that is a part of the frame is worn. This worn part is allowing the cylinder to fall from the gun when doing reloads. It looks like it is part of the frame. How can I fix this "cylinder stop"? Can I weld using a stainless steel wire in a mig then shae it? Or should I try to use a punch and build this stop up?

I'm guessing this is one of the newer guns with the cylinder stop that is "long" instead of the small round stop? If so, I'd see a smith and have it welded I guess. Maybe your smith can offer some suggestions.

With the old guns it was a staked in part. Send it to the factory or factory trained mechanic and they could do it properly. The new cylinder stops, I dont know.....Give em a call. I have had two replaced on the older guns, 625-2 and a 686-5. Good luck, DougC

I complained about this same problem to S&W on my 625-6. I returned mine every year for 4 years to have a new cylinder put in. The locking recesses on the cylinders kept wearing out after about 2000 rounds. After this last trip they replaced the gun with a -8. I immediately sold it and retired. I have nothing good to say about the new Smiths and am afraid of a law suit if I published what I really think.

Joe Justice