Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Takedown using barrel bushing wrench?

Rob01

Might be a stupid question but does anyone know of any problems with using a barrel bushing wrench to take out the recoil spring plug and recoil spring and then take the pistol apart? Have been out of 1911s for a while and used to do that when I carried one in the USMC but those pistols were so loose anyways LOL I just find it easier than using the paperclip trick but if it would possibly cause any prolonged wear and loosening of the bushing fitting to slide and accuracy problems in the future I will use the paperclip. Just don't want to do any damage to my pistols.

Thanks.

No real problem doing it that way except you might get to watch the plug fly off to never never land! If your 1911 has the traditional plug and spring arrangement I suggest you remove the slide first making sure you wrap your hand around the slide and grab the recoil spring as you take the slide off the rails. Then remove the spring and take down while not under spring pressure. If it has a full length guide rod the paper clip trick may or may not work depending on whether the rod has a small hole to slip the pc into to help capture the spring. Whatever way works make sure you were safety glasses and aim things in a safe direction(plug and spring)!

Richard

No real problem doing it that way except you might get to watch the plug fly off to never never land!

Yep. If it's an FLGR with a reverse bushing they are notorious for putting dents in the ceiling. Especially if it's a .40 with an 18# recoil spring.... couldn't pay me enough to fight that stupid bushing again. I drill take down holes in the FLGR if they don't come with them. makes life easier.

Thanks guys. It's a FLGR and standard bushing so it's fairly easy to get out especially with the 12# spring. Both are .40s so even the factory 14# wasn't bad.