Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making a pump easier to load

Willz

I'd like to make my Win 1200 easier to load and would like see what others have done to the loading port of their pumps.

I can do a load 2 with some effort and I've managed to load 4 occasionally but usually fumble the second set of shells.

After loading practice I find little slivers plastic from the shells so I wil be smoothing out all the sharp edges in the loading port.

Anything else I can do?

Edited by Willz

Yes, it is identical.

No pics, I can post some tomorrow.

Have you done anything in particular to the 1300 to get it race ready?

This 1200 is slick, I just have to get my rhythm cycling it and remember to reload before I'm completely empty. If the action is out of battery just a hair the shell catch jams the incoming shell. With a round chambered the action can't move rearward until the trigger is pulled. Uncocked the slightest little bump and the action wants to open.

Also, what method do you use to load?

Edited by Willz

So this particular shotgun I don't run often... Maybe best to explain things a bit more.

So for most matches I run Tac Ops with a VersaMax tactical, I have a mix between traditional load 4 weak hand (ap custom 1x4's) and dual load, starting to get better with the quad and will probably go to that 100% here when I find caddies that I really like. Still always have at least 2 weak hand load 4 caddies for stages that require prone.

A semi local USPSA club near me runs monthly matches, a few of us squad up and run it both tac-ops and He-Man/Pump. I put this together because I had a spare receiver laying around and I knew the 1300 to be a really slick pump. But I cant quad load on it. I also built it when weak hand load 4 was the only real method. Looking back now I should have gone with the supernova because the loading port is the weak point of the 1300 design. The 1300 trigger guard is part of the loading port, so it really cant be opened anymore. It also has a little plastic at the top of the port. Thats kinda the bad news, good news is the lifter is plenty long and the port leaves the top of the next shell exposed. This is a totally stock 1300.

photo6_zps5d2fae50.jpg

I did put a chote +5 and cut it a little shorter to ease loading and a nice slick follower. I am decent with the weak hand load 4 with this shotgun, but if I were to take the pump seriously, I would probably get a supernova to quad load.

Edited by mulrick

Thanks mulrick, I have both a Versa Max and a 1300 Defender.

My 1200 looks exactly like that too. I picked up it at a pawn shop for $120.(long story)

My 1300 isn't as smooth simply because it hasn't been shot much. This 1200 is old and looks like its been used quite a bit and it's slick.

I found a 26 inch vent rib barrel to replace the 28 inch and decided to shoot in a match or two with it.

I also put a Nordic 10+1 tube on it and barrel clamp.

My thought is to smooth out all the sharp edges in the loading port area both to save my hands and keep it from grabbing and shaving shells. I plan to go slow. I know I can't open it up like my Versa Max but I want round out smooth everthing I can. The plastic piece it the mag tube can be replaced if I over do it with the massage. It seems to be most of the trouble, it's very sharp.

Have you done anything to the load port or the action?

Just a little rounding of the sharp inside edges. I only shoot this thing 3 or 4 times a year, but part of me wouldn't mind making it easier.

Which Nordic tube did you end up getting to fit the 1200?

I have a spare receiver, but I need to buy a trigger group for it... If I find one cheap, I will totally offer mine as a guinea pig and grind the crap out of it...

This tube. From Nordic's site.

Nordic Components Winchester 120 / 1200 / 1300 Magazine Extensions
star.gif Part Number: NC-MXT-WIN-120-12
star.gifInventory Status: In Stock

I had an issue with the radius of the barrel clamp being to small. I called Nordic, the said send it in, the either opened mine up or sent me one with the correct fit in 4 days.

Numrich has alot of 1200/1300 parts but no receivers or barrels. or ejector springs, that being the entire reason I bought the 1200, just for the ejector spring.

Edited by Willz

So I got the spare receiver off gunbroker, I was already buying something else, and here in CA, Internet transfers are kinda expensive, so I added a few receivers to the paperwork.

I didn't realize Nordic was making it for the 1300 now... I'll have to look into that.

I got a 22" VR Winchoke (Browning Invector) barrel from Midwest Gun Works, but it looks like those are gone. Like I said, maybe I will pick up another trigger guard and start grinding away.

Not much you can do on the Winchester. I can twin load my 1300 Camp Defender pretty quick though.

You watched me running the "pogo stick" on the 31st.

I need more practice loading but need the sharp edges smoothed out.

I'm thinking of shooting Heavy on July 12th and 13th instead of the Versa Max.

( Colleen is still looking for a P3G shirt.) ;)