Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry's 124gr RN & Power Pistol

ericridebike

Getting started back reloading after a long time away from it and need a little guidance. The components that I have been able to get are Berry's 124 gr RN projectiles, Power Pistol Powder, Winchester SPP, and assorted brass. I have had trouble finding a recipe for that combination of bullet/powder. I will be shooting it out of my Glock 34. From what I've found in a few reloading books for similar bullets is starting at around 5.2gr of the Power Pistol powder. Just curious if anyone has any more specific data for this load, including a recommended COL.

Thanks,

Eric

You should consider buying a lee loading book. I own more than one loading book. I suggest going to the alliant site. Look up power pistol recipes. Knock 10% off and work up a couple tenths at a time watching velocity if you have access to a chrono and also watching for over pressure signs. Lee gives coal for rn bullets and prob for power pistol powder. Choose a jacketed rn bullet of the right weight and start at the bottom. Best wishes.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=8&cartridge=23

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by grouptherapy

You should consider buying a lee loading book. I own more than one loading book. I suggest going to the alliant site. Look up power pistol recipes. Knock 10% off and work up a couple tenths at a time watching velocity if you have access to a chrono and also watching for over pressure signs. Lee gives coal for tn bullets and prob for power pistol powder. Choose a jacketed rn bullet of the right weight and start at the bottom. Best wishes.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=8&cartridge=23

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I actually have the Lee book. If I remember right, it only showed recipes for Power Pistol with 147gr and 115gr bullets. The Alliant site only has one recipe for a 124gr bullet, a Speer GDHP with 6.4 gr of Power Pistol powder. I did find a recipe in another manual I got to look through for a 124gr TMJ RN showing a starting charge of 5.6gr and max charge of 6.4 of the Power Pistol. Does that sound like a reasonable recipe to try with the Berry's bullet?

5.2 is a good starting load, any lower and you will run into feed issues. 5.2 is still a little too low to feed reliably in my xdm. I found my ideal load for 124gr with PP was 5.5-5.58gr. I had it written down somewhere, can't seem to locate it right now.

5.2 is a good starting load, any lower and you will run into feed issues. 5.2 is still a little too low to feed reliably in my xdm. I found my ideal load for 124gr with PP was 5.5-5.58gr. I had it written down somewhere, can't seem to locate it right now.

Sounds good. Thanks for the help. Just wanted to make sure I was where I needed to be as far as a safe starting point.

I have found PP to be a few dollars less per pound than what little else has been around. I am pretty happy with it in my open gun. The gun and glass stay cleaner longer. Will try it soon in limited.

I ALSO AGREE WITH THOSE WHO ENCOURAGE FOLKS TO OWN MORE THEN ONE BOOK. I AM ALWAYS LEERY THAT SOME COMPANIES RECOMMEND POWDERS THEY HAVE A FINANCIAL INTEREST IN RATHER THE THE BEST LOADS. PROBABLY ALL IN MY HEAD BUT OBAMA's president,SO NOTHING WOULD SURPRISE ME.

AFTER LOADING 9mm with a bunch of different powders searching for the Ever elusive one hole group, I happened to read Hornady's reloading book and in the preface for 9mm they went to extra lengths to talk about the accuracy they found with Power Pistol. I bought some and since then I have not found a powder that comes close to Power Pistol for accuracy with all weights, regardless,of cost, ie VV. I shoot mostly plated or FMJ bullets and can not testify as to how it does with lead, but it is one darn accurate powder in 9 and 38Super.

The downside is it is LOUD, heavier recoil and flash...

Good,luck!

124gr X treme plated

1.160 oal

Wsp

Mixed brass

KKM 5 1/2" comp'd barrel

Power Pistol

7.1 made major PF

1343 fps avg

Bumped it to 7.2 for a cushion

NO PRESSURE SIGNS

M&P core