Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My shadow and fading accuracy?

JoakimGR

If you are using "plated" lead bullets ("jacketed" is a different story), I certainly would NOT use 0.355 diameter. For lead you would need at least 0.356 and from what I can tell the CZ barrels are 0.001 too big to start with (on 3 SP-01 barrels I've tested), so they really need 0.357. Slug your barrel or find a friend who can help you do it and see where your barrel is at. That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Yes, that would be plated. Jacketed is when it has a very thick hard copper jacket on it. For example with a plated bullet or coated bullet, you can scrape way the coating with something like a knife to cut through and get to the lead. With a jacketed bullet, it would be thick, like a penny, and wouldn't get to the lead. When you are shooting plated vs. jacketed bullets, the plated bullets (or even lead bullets with no coating) they need to be bigger since they are softer.

This is the best explanation that I could find out there as to why most think that lead bullets should be 0.001 to 0.002 bigger than the barrel. It is for 38 Super, but essentially the same as 9mm. Hope this helps? http://38super.net/Pages/355%20vs%20356.html In my CZ Shadow Target, I found that if I used 147gn 0.356 coated bullets, it would lead up the barrel really bad. When I switched to 0.357 diameter, the barrel was fine and I no longer had any "tumblers".

You say you have a class with Stoeger coming up this weekend? A few months ago we had a class with Ben Stoeger and Matt Mink. At the start of the class they asked if anyone was unsure if their gun was "zeroed?" If so, they would stand at approximately 20 yards and free hand style shoot the gun in question to see if POA=POI. I'm sure Ben will do the same at your class, which might be a real big help to determine if your gun is at POA=POI. Because of my crappy shooting skills, I was only about 60%-70% sure I was zeroed (I had been shooting the gun only a few weeks at that point). Just to make sure I had him shoot my CZ and it was dead on POA=POI.

So what happened at the class? Did you ask Ben to shoot a group with your gun? He did that for a couple shooters at the class I attended as well.

Eric

Yes. Ben and Matt both shot several guns to see if they were zeroed.

Had the class, and Ben shot the gun. It goes a little low, but mainly it was me.

I have apparently become a worse shooter, probably because i have practiced way less now than last year.

I have checked my front sight, and that is the 7.5mm one, for adjustable rear sight. I am going to order that sight now, just for convenience.

When i load Frontier, i use the plated RN, restruck .355" 124gr ones.

OAL is 29.00mm

I am also going to invest in a Dillon 1050 now. Tired of my Lee Loadmaster, and its hickups with primerfeeds..

The class with Ben was awesome. He really knows how to bring out the best in every shooter.

I have a videoclip from the class, he told me to show him something... :)

I think i'll buy the adjustable rear sight, zero the gun and get back to you.

Thanks for all feedback!

ok, if you have teh 7.5mm front sight with a fixed rear then your POI will definitely be lower than POA. The fixed rear should be mated to a 5.5mm front sight.

I would suggest you go to the restrike frontier RN in 0.356.

Personally I think the OAL of 29mm is too long also. I'd suggest experiment with some shorter ones. go right down to 27.2. I would suggest 27.5 would be about a good OAL using the frontier round nose in 356.

I think it's a combination of things:

0.355 bullets are shooting slower (CMJ do shoot a bit slower than coated lead anyway)

front sight is too tall which is bringing your POI down below the POA

OAL is probably too long too.

possibly some grip, or trigger issues, but I really think it's mostly the 2 posted above.

What about group size? did you try shooting groups? even if they are low are they at least all going in the same spot?