Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS 1911 Slide Lock Reloads Compared To Glock

PEC-Memphis

you could consider trying a front/forward press instead of using the slide lock lever. when practiced it can be done very quickly. in that you are using the front of the slide. ultimately using the lever is probably quicker for most though, regardless of whether they hit it with strong hand or weak hand.

it's just more gun handling practice. :)

There are three parts to a SLR, the mag release, inserting the new magazine and releasing the slide.

You need to figure out how you can hit that mag button easier. I started with grips that have scoops in them so my thumb can get closer to the button without twisting the gun. That helped a lot but not enough. I then installed a larger, extended mag button. That helped even more but still not quite enough. I now have a paddle button that extends backwards toward the grips. I have yet to use it in a match but, in practice, it does make it where I don't have to change my grip every time.

The next part is hitting that reload. Mag wells do help. I like ones that go all the way around. I use a Techwell currently. I have used the S&A and the ICE previously. One corollary to this is getting a proper grip on the new magazine to insert it quickly. If you get a bad grip you will still have problems. This last is what I am still having problems with.

As for releasing the slide, there are various methods. You can hit the slide release with the strong hand thumb. You can use a form of slingshot. You can also use the weak hand thumb to release it. I prefer the weak hand thumb. I insert the mag and when I am rolling up my hand to get the grip, my thumb presses down on the slide release then continues forward to it resting place. For me this is the fastest and easiest method I have used since I started shooting 1911s.

Eventually, it will all come down to personal preference. You have to try out different gear and techniques to find which works best for you.

There are three parts to a SLR, the mag release, inserting the new magazine and releasing the slide.

You need to figure out how you can hit that mag button easier. I started with grips that have scoops in them so my thumb can get closer to the button without twisting the gun. That helped a lot but not enough. I then installed a larger, extended mag button. That helped even more but still not quite enough. I now have a paddle button that extends backwards toward the grips. I have yet to use it in a match but, in practice, it does make it where I don't have to change my grip every time.

The next part is hitting that reload. Mag wells do help. I like ones that go all the way around. I use a Techwell currently. I have used the S&A and the ICE previously. One corollary to this is getting a proper grip on the new magazine to insert it quickly. If you get a bad grip you will still have problems. This last is what I am still having problems with.

As for releasing the slide, there are various methods. You can hit the slide release with the strong hand thumb. You can use a form of slingshot. You can also use the weak hand thumb to release it. I prefer the weak hand thumb. I insert the mag and when I am rolling up my hand to get the grip, my thumb presses down on the slide release then continues forward to it resting place. For me this is the fastest and easiest method I have used since I started shooting 1911s.

Eventually, it will all come down to personal preference. You have to try out different gear and techniques to find which works best for you.

I think that the oversize (larger diameter or "paddle") magazine catch/release are a "no-go" for IDPA.

Extended magazine catch/release as long as it doesn't extend 0.2" is Ok (IIRC).

I did install a #4 wolff spring (the lightest) and it has helped some. I use the support hand slide stop release. After some practice, I'm getting faster. Then I go back to the 17/34 and it feels so much faster.

From some of the comments (apples vs. oranges - revolver vs. semi auto) the Glock is always going to be faster than a SS 1911 for someone proficient with both. It makes me wonder where the ESP 1911 is going to be an advantage - if any?