Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cannot adjust RT1200 far enough?

Powerslide91

Dillon 650, typical two plate setup for reloading 223.

Background; I've loaded many thousand rounds for multi gun and have had decent luck but still consider myself somewhat new to reloading. Sometimes when I clear the rifle, ejecting the chambered round is "sticky", that does not happen with a factory round. So I thought I would redo my brass prep plate to make sure it is good. Using a Dillon case gage, it looks like the rim was several mils over the top cut on the gage. So I'm trying to improve that. Trim length measured 1.750 +/- 0.002.

On my brass prep plate, I have the Dillon decapping / resizing die in station 1 and set it with the 90% plan many use on the forum. After the brass goes through station 1, if I check it on a Dillon case gage, the rim is about .002 to .005 above the high step on the gage.

So I am trying to set the RT die to bump the shoulder back those last few mils, but I have bottomed the die out on the lock ring and cannot spin it down any further. It is just barely kissing the shell plate, so I think I can lower it a bit more if I can solve the lock ring issue. See the pictures.

Any comments from the experienced reloaders? Could I move the lock ring to below the tool plate to get more range of adjustment?

As a side note; am I on the right track where I think the "sticky" feeling cycling a round out of the chamber is from the shoulder being too long?

Thanks all.

post-20208-0-33194400-1400858249_thumb.j

post-20208-0-57063100-1400858278_thumb.j

Had the same issue. Could not get the last couple of thousandth of shoulder push back. Did the touch the shell plate and give it so much more as stated in the instructions. With no change in the max-min gauge. The rounds would function in my Bushmaster but would lock up two friends AR's and my dad's Smith&Wesson. Had a machine shop buddy take .005" off the bottom of the Dillon sizing die and now it just kisses the shell plate and the brass sits just bellow the max on the Dillon gauge. Wish i had him take .008". A plus, the machine runs smoother on the last bit of the up stoke. Now on the RT1200 i screw the die down until it stops on the sized brass and is snug, and run a second jam nut up from the bottom as the top nut does not have full thread engagement.

Hope it helps.

Thank you for the quick replies guys. I did move the lock ring to the bottom of the tool plate and that got me the adjustment I needed. The die is pushing into the shell plate now, but not so much that I needed to machine the bottom of the die.

Next step is build up the rounds and see if it helps clearing of rifle.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Edited by Powerslide91