Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

use Glock full size (17,34,etc) recoil spring assembly in M&P 4.25

jaredr

ordered some glock springs from shooters connection and asked them if they had any reduced power recoil springs for a 4.25" M&P 9mm. they said no but "you can use the recoil springs from a full size glock" i.e. a 17/22, 34/35, etc.

springs showed up and I figured what the heck, might as well give it a try. unfortunately, as much as I wrestled with the captured recoil spring guide from my M&P, i could not get the hex nut off of the end to remove the captured spring. I noticed that both recoil spring assemblies looked very similar in size so for the heck of it, i figured i would try swapping the hole assembly.

20140522_203505_zpsytiray6b.jpg

glock gen 3 Jager Captured Recoil Spring Steel Guide w/ISMI spring on top, factory S&W M&P guide rod and spring on bottom'

Jager Captured Recoil Spring Steel Guide Rod from my G35 appears to fit perfectly! I (wisely, i might add) refrained from live fire testing in my basement but will give it a try at the range over the weekend, wanted to ask if anyone else has any experience with this swap and if it works as well as it looks like it might?

I use used factory captured Glock springs popped off the plastic rod on a turned down tungsten rod in my Pro's. We change them out every couple of years at work and I end up w a lifetime supply;). Work great and I get them just broken in?

Edited by dnuke146

I run both ismi and wolff reduced power glock springs in my M&P. I found that the Wolff spring runs a pound lighter over the ismi. For example the 12lb wolff is lighter than the 11lb imsi, the 14lb wolff is lighter than the 13lb imsi.