Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 round Bushmaster Mags

Take a look over at AR15.com in the magazine section and you will find all the info you need.

I did a search on AR15.com and found only one post about Bushmaster 40rd mags.

Most people on the post said stay away from them, but no one had any experience with them.

I herd from someone that knew someone that new someone..........

I guess I have to buy one and test it. UNLESS......

Patrick Sweeney is out there.

He knows everything.

I bought one. They look a LOT like the $12.97 40-round PMI magazines from Cheaper Than Dirt.

Both may work out of the box, but I wouldn't bet on it. I've set up...ummm...eleven 40 round mags (one "Bushy", eight PMI, and three gun show specials that looked more like PMI than USA) in the last few months. Two worked out of the wrapper. The other nine needed the mag catch hole moved higher, and either a little or a LOT of metal removed/polished to drop free.

But for $12.97, it is really hard to complain about those PMI mags. For $25, I wasn't that happy.

Alex

I don't know how a new 40 rounder works with a semi-auto but the ones we were using at work with the full auto entry gun were problematic. You could pretty much count on a mulfunction of some sort and had a few death jams where the round slipped between the bolt and the charging handle. Got pretty good at crearing that one though...

I suspect that a lot of problems wiht feeding in the 40-round mags would go away with proper springs. When I do test the 40s, (coming up for the next AR book) I'll be sure and have a stash of Wolff springs for 40s on hand. Unless they are custom-ordering springs, I'd bet a lot fo the 40 round magazines are using 30-round mag springs.

As for fit and drop free, that depends as much on the rifle as the mag. I've got 30+ rifle son hand, and some of my crusty old magazines won't fit some guns without a rawhide mallet.

To Benny you listen...I forgot to add his spring choice to my "tuning" overview of a few posts ago. Although the PMI 40-round springs are a few coils longer than the -30's, I still chuck them (brand new) and replace them with 40-round ISMI springs. They work great!

Alex

For $25 I picked up a parkerized 40 rounder that looks a lot like the Bushy mag. From the outside it actually looked pretty good.

I had to remove metal from all 4 sides to get it to finally go in and drop free. It was .030 fatter than a GI mag.

Then the rounds wouldn't feed. It would nose dive or the bolt would run right over the top of the next round and stop about half way. And of course it would not stay open on the last shot.

After taking it apart I found it had an AK spring and what appeared from the outside to be a nice, correct green follower. but was actually some chopped up peice of green plastic not at all like the GI green followers. The AK spring loosly just pushed on the back of the follower. I took the spring, cut and bent it to resemble the configuration of an AR spring and mated it to a "real" green follower.

After squeezing the lips in a vice to keep more than one round from popping out at a time, I have a 40 round mag that works pretty well. But I don't think I want to go through all that again.

• 3 weeks later...