Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shock buffs in Production IPSC - is it legal?

Kiwi

This subject may well have been covered off, however on an initial search I could not locate the answer. <_<

Is the addition of a shock buff a modification to the internal workings of a IPSC Prouduction pistol that is illiegal? :mellow:

Can some one answer this for me? Much appreciated. :D

clearly not permitted according to Appendix D4 (19., 20.). Only aftermarket sights, grips and magazines are allowed, no mention of buffs.

Naturally, the Q arises of why in the world you would even want to do this? Are you shooting major out of your gun? With minor ammo, frame damage is so much less of an issue that it's really not a worry...

--Detlef

While not specifically allowed by the rules neither are replacement steel guiderods so I would say let your conscience be your guide.

How many production shooters are using factory recoil springs as anything else is in violation of Appendix D4, Item 20.

Okay thanks for clearing that up for me - no shock buffs, thought as much.

The reason why I have employed a shock buff is that I was experimenting with 147 gr JHP projectiles, over 3.6 gr of N320, and did not want to damage the gun in recoil if the spring was too light. Intended on leaving it there for security sake, and did not want to brake the rules.

I have the understanding under the rules that main recoil springs could be replaced, and that in doing so I have reduced the recoil spring to 10lbs.

Are you saying under Rule 19, 20 fitting recoil springs of less then OFM issue spring weight are not premitted in Production? If so then I will need to reflect on this carefully when working up loads - presumably so will many others.

Any advice gratefully received as I obviously an knew to this :)

Just to be clear, IPSC and USPSA are different in regards to Production and allowed internal modifications.

I don't believe that IPSC Production allows for changing the recoil spring and/or rod.

In USPSA Production, that is allowed under US Appendix D9, 21.4 (IMO)

Flex caught it: Under IPSC rules, you are not permitted to change the recoil spring from what is available for this model from the manufacturer! The list under 20. does not contain springs at all so you cannot even replace a single spring with a non-original one. While with less conspicuous springs you might not be caught, with a 10lb recoil I bet you will at a big match!

Really, not worth the risk, just use what comes with the gun. What gun is it, btw.?

--D.

Fleximoney/Detlief

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions. I'm real clear now - no more doubt at all. I think I did read a thread once about spring recoil, and in production guns, which led me to believe the spring change was somehow permitted.

When I look at the rules now I clearly see the strict limit on modifications is quite clear. If its not covered explicitly then its not permitted.

I actually agree with it and if I have caused anyone concern or offence through my questions please accept my apology, as niether were intended.

The gun is a Para Ordnance P18-9mm that I'm using. Any advice on best loads would be appreciated for 147gr JHP

Thanks again.

there are really no apologies necessary. Also, remember we are not the IPSC rules committee, though some forum members (not me) serve on some of these. So double-check the info obtained here yourself (always a good idea...).

The Para LDA 18-9 profits from a better set of sights and polishing trigger- and safety-related engagement surfaces (both IPSC legal). Otherwise it is good to go right out of the box. Do about 200000 practice reloads, that will open up the mag well by wear and tear a bit, IMHO the most serious problem with the gun. But in IPSC PD, you can exploit the 18 or 19 rd mag capacity, the largest of any Production Division gun!

The 147gr have caused endless malfunctions in mine irrespective of OAL, the 125 gr (IMHO) is the bullet of choice.

--Detlef