Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD...still not running

I have an XD Tactical in 9mm that went single shot almost two years ago, I posted a year ago looking for help and I couldn't figure out the problem nor could any forum member. It has since been to a couple of 'smiths who specialize in XD's and it still won't run. One charged me a lot and did very little(lesson learned) and the other charged me little and did quite a bit, PLUS were very helpful and informative, but alas, it still doesn't run. I got it back, went to the range, fired one shot and had to start "flicking the trigger" to get it to reset. I then passed it around to my mentor, a seasoned shooter-same, same, then "the guys"-same, same, then the FNG- same, same. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this problem? I am really losing interest in trying to fix ol' plastic fantastic. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

As a side note, these things have been repaired or replaced:

Trigger Spring- more times than I can remember

Barrel- Barsto- fit correctly by 2nd 'smith

Extended grip safety- seems to function fine

Trigger bar- PRP??

Maybe that will narrow it down. Thanks

Edited by chaosshooter00

I have an XD Tactical in 9mm that went single shot almost two years ago, I posted a year ago looking for help and I couldn't figure out the problem nor could any forum member. It has since been to a couple of 'smiths who specialize in XD's and it still won't run. One charged me a lot and did very little(lesson learned) and the other charged me little and did quite a bit, PLUS were very helpful and informative, but alas, it still doesn't run. I got it back, went to the range, fired one shot and had to start "flicking the trigger" to get it to reset. I then passed it around to my mentor, a seasoned shooter-same, same, then "the guys"-same, same, then the FNG- same, same. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this problem? I am really losing interest in trying to fix ol' plastic fantastic. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

As a side note, these things have been repaired or replaced:

Trigger Spring- more times than I can remember

Barrel- Barsto- fit correctly by 2nd 'smith

Extended grip safety- seems to function fine

Trigger bar- PRP??

Maybe that will narrow it down. Thanks

Mine did that after I installed the aftermarket trigger bar. When you hold the trigger as firing, it slightly puts a side torque on the sear and holds it released so that the striker spring does not reset when the slide cycles. You repull the trigger and nothing because the striker did not 'cock" on the cycling of the slide. I had to shave the sides of the sear slightly to keep it from binding.

Take the slide off and hold the trigger firmly and see if the sear is still free to move with the trigger tightly pulled. If it's not, that's the culprit.

Edited by bountyhunter

The second 'smith is still actively involved in trying to get this gun running, I didn't mean to imply that he wasn't. I was just looking for more ideas as to a cure. bountyhunter- that is close what the 'smith said, but doesn't seem to be the problem. Thanks

When you said:

"fired one shot and had to start "flicking the trigger" to get it to reset."

Do you mean the trigger does not come forward far enough on it's own spring pressure to get to the reset point?

If so, that's different. Sounds like the trigger bar may be dragging on something or some component is dragging just enough to keep it from moving freely.

As I recall, this trigger design has the goofy trigger safety and that piece could drag a little as the trigger tries to move forward. Could try wrapping some tape around that and see if it improves.

Some aftermarket trigger bars have "file points" for fitting to set overtravel and reset travel points. I wonder if maybe yours needs tweaking.

Edited by bountyhunter

When you said:

"fired one shot and had to start "flicking the trigger" to get it to reset."

Do you mean the trigger does not come forward far enough on it's own spring pressure to get to the reset point?

If so, that's different. Sounds like the trigger bar may be dragging on something or some component is dragging just enough to keep it from moving freely.

As I recall, this trigger design has the goofy trigger safety and that piece could drag a little as the trigger tries to move forward. Could try wrapping some tape around that and see if it improves.

Some aftermarket trigger bars have "file points" for fitting to set overtravel and reset travel points. I wonder if maybe yours needs tweaking.

It's the opposite, I have to "flick" it back, not forward to get it to fire. It's like pulling the trigger a handful of times and getting off one round, really odd. Thanks

Hard to diagnose. The XD also has the internal pivoting lever firing pin blocking safety. I would want to examine the striker closely and check for impact dings. If the FP safety plunger is not fully lifting out of the way, you will get unreliable ignition.

Turns out that five out of seven of my mags rub the trigger bar. It will be a couple weeks before I can test the theory due to surgery, but I think this may explain the problem. Thanks to everyone for the IM's and emails trying to figure this out. It was Scott at Springer Precision that told me to check clearances with a loaded mag after I had exhausted every other test he and members here came up with. Thanks