Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel fluting - the Krieger building saga

ski_dog

A little over a year ago, I was in my local gun shop here in Southern Oregon. I had been contemplating building a custom upper for a few months. Terry, the shop owner, asked what I wanted to spend my money on that day. I replied that I was certain he didn't have what I was looking for, as it was pretty out of the ordinary, but that I was looking for a Krieger barrel. "Hold on. I'll be right back." Those words began a year long process that follows.

It was a Krieger DCM barrel, known for being very accurate in the Highpower shooting world. If you look at the Camp Perry equipment year after year, that barrel is on the list.

post-14673-0-78878000-1399649488_thumb.j

He made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and I picked it up for $400. Then I had to purchase the rest of the upper parts. I purchased a VLTUR MUR upper receiver, gas tube and barrel nut, JP lightweight bolt carrier and bolt, a Surefire brake, a Troy VTAC rail, and a BCM gunfighter charging handle. For the gas block, I picked up a custom adjustable model that my local machinist had been playing with in the design phase. It didn't work out, so I went with the Syrac. I loved how the upper turned out, and it shot consistent 1/2 MOA groups. I had him chamber it in 223 AR match, and he cut it back to 18", put a nice crown on it and threaded it.The problem was its weight. That DCM barrel weighed 3.09 lbs naked!

I tried to compensate for the barrel weight by putting a Magpul PRS stock on, since it is really heavy. I ended up with an incredibly heavy rifle. Since I am a big guy, I figured what the heck. I can make this thing work. I was wrong. Eventually, after a local match, I sent the upper with one of the shooters who happens to be a really good rifle builder/gunsmith - Jason Chipley of Redding, CA, to put that barrel on a diet. He did some awesome and beautiful flutes, taking off a full half-pound. I also took the PRS off and put the MOE rifle stock on to save even more weight on the rifle.

post-14673-0-56255100-1399649978_thumb.j

The problem that I then experienced, was it no longer shot worth a darn. The best I could get out of my handloads was 1.1" groups at 100 yards. I was very unhappy, and figured I had wrecked my barrel. I must have tried 15 different loads, and never could settle. You could see some really good potential with a few, but it never would shoot consistently. As a last ditch effort before just junking the whole thing, I sent it off to diversified cryogenics to cryo the barrel. I read many different viewpoints on cryo treatment, but they all seemed to agree that if you machine on a finished barrel, then the cryo will help. If you cryo a brand new barrel, then there are very mixed results.

I was very relieved when I got my upper back 2 weeks later (cost was $59 plus shipping), I was very happy to find that it shot better than ever. Last weekend, I shot a .455" group at 200 yards. All this to say, if you machine a barrel, I would encourage you to cryo it when you are completely done.

post-14673-0-69452500-1399650498_thumb.j

Starting a similar endeavor. I ordered a PRS, then found the MOE stock. Since both are on the way, I intend to compare the two before making a decision. The PRS does, however, appear to be a bit heavy. I don't think my body is so out of the ordinary that the MOE with/without a buttplate swap would do the trick. How is the cheek weld with the MOE?

Starting a similar endeavor. I ordered a PRS, then found the MOE stock. Since both are on the way, I intend to compare the two before making a decision. The PRS does, however, appear to be a bit heavy. I don't think my body is so out of the ordinary that the MOE with/without a buttplate swap would do the trick. How is the cheek weld with the MOE?

I like it, but I did run the PRS with the comb all the way down too. I am intrigued by the Lancer LCS A2 length stock. It is about 4 oz. lighter than the MOE.

From looking at your pics it looks like you only fluted the barrel forward of the gas block. Maybe this is a dumb question, but why not flute the whole thing? Seems like you could take off a lot more weight that way.

From looking at your pics it looks like you only fluted the barrel forward of the gas block. Maybe this is a dumb question, but why not flute the whole thing? Seems like you could take off a lot more weight that way.

It is fluted all the way back. In the close up pic, you can just barely see the radius edge of the flute near the gas block.

I have MOE stocks on 2 of my rifles and like them. Good cheek weld and light weight. No frills but that also means easy to use.

I'm newish to the AR game but not to custom guns. I've shoot F Class for quite a few years. Most barrel manufacturers don't recommend fluting after they ship the barrel out. Usually it voids the warranty too. You found out first hand why they don't recommend it. Cryo treating has been used for years on barrels and it definitely can work. There is always a chance it won't but the price you listed is very reasonable. Glad it worked out for you!