Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer fall problem w/Para 16-40 Ltd

OK, ok, ok.... ok, I have two problems. First I have a Para Ordnance 16-40. After the Texas Multi-Gun I put it in the Ultra sonic after field stripping it. After cleaning I had a second problem, a delayed hammer fall once the trigger was pulled (dry fire). I have since taken it apart and re-assembled it over a dozen times. The delayed hammer fall is gone. But now when I cycle it after pulling the trigger the hammer follows the slide forward, while holding the trigger back. If I release the trigger (after dropping the hammer), then cycle the slide, the hammer remains cocked. I tried some live fire. (very carefully) The hammer follows the slide forward, it does not double, the next cartridge is not detonated. But the hammer is fully forward. When I release the trigger I can then manually cock the hammer and fire again. But the problem repeats.

So now my single action Para 16-40 is a bolt action semi-auto pistol.

I'm wondering if it's just worn out. The sear and hammer engagements look pretty good, but maybe their just worn evenly. The disconnector looks beat up, but I'm not a 1911 armorer, so I don't know.

And it has this weird part that looks like a foot the lives between the sear and the elephants trunk, (the lever that engages the firing pin block plunger that's not there anymore. I have never seen that "foot" on a 1911.

I really don't want to send it to Para for a fix. I've heard some bad things about doing that.

So do any of you Para or 1911 guru's have any ideas on what I can do to fix this until I can afford an STI.

Thank you. Happy Trails.... May the good Lord take a liking to you.

OK for fun. 1. Who said, OK, ok, ok.... ok. And what movie.

2. Who am I quoting after Thank you. Even if you don't have solution to my disposable Para.

If your sear and hammer hooks engagement looks good then check the sear leg on the sear spring, it may be bent too much. Sounds like the extra part you are speaking of is part of the series 80 parts.

Also, if you did a trigger job on the stock para parts, well, those are junk and should be replaced with any of the quality manufacturers of ignition components out there. I personally like the Extreme Engineering components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammer follow is generally caused by too little or improper sear engagement or trigger bounce (if you have a light trigger pull and heavy trigger). If you don't have the expertise to properly diagnose or solve the problem then take it to a smith. My guess is something is worn out.

-Jake

But now when I cycle it after pulling the trigger the hammer follows the slide forward, while holding the trigger back. If I release the trigger (after dropping the hammer), then cycle the slide, the hammer remains cocked. I tried some live fire. (very carefully) The hammer follows the slide forward, it does not double, the next cartridge is not detonated. But the hammer is fully forward.

I would guess disconnector problem.

If you lock the slide back and drop it on empty chamber with finger OFF trigger does the hammer follow? A flaky sear/hammer hook will usually follow then.

If it does NOT but then does follow with a slide drop on empty chamber with trigger pulled, I still vote for disconnector.

Edited by bountyhunter