Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger geometry.

Ty Hamby

Since a few gunsmiths are having great success lowering DAO pulls down to sub 4lb with 100% reliability*. Is it possible to have an 8lb pull with half the stroke of the trigger. Has anyone ever changed the geometry? I am talking about more than just sear angles cut or length changed. I'm talking about changing the pivot point with the hand mounted further out on the trigger to rotate the cylinder the same amount with only half the stroke of the trigger. Just thinking out loud and wondering what if anything has been tried or could be done.

*(according to today's APEX facebook page)

Cylinder and Slide made a roller trigger for S&W revolvers in the late '80's and early '90's that had about 2/3's the stroke (maybe a bit less) of the factory.

A friend had one in his PPC revolver and it really felt strange, and personally, I thought that it was a waste of money. Reliability definately became an issue. It wouldn't ignite Federal primers, so out it went and the stock one went back in.

C&S haven't sold this since about the late '90's.

In the '70s, a retired Air Force gunsmith named Steve Velchoff was credited with developing the short double-action for PPC competition guns. His process involved removing most of the hammer foot, to allow the trigger to bear directly, and exclusively, on the double-action sear itself.

Outside of PPC circles, it never really took off. Obviously, a shorter action would have the advantage of quicker lock time, but it would require (as Ty implies in his original post) more mainspring tension to be reliable.