Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bladetech holster w/Safariland belt

Nimitz

Can I attach a bladetech blackice holster directly to the ELS system or do I need some kind of attachment? Also, anyone attached CR Speed mag pouches to the ELS? If so, what did you use to do it?

There are a few ways to rig the holster to the belt.

1. Remove the hanger and bolt it directly to the belt - might need to drill some holes in the holster to match the bolt pattern of the belt or adjust placement to where you like it.

2. Use the recommended QLS clip (http://www.copquest.com/23-6340_safariland-quick-locking-system-kit-quick-kit1.htm) for attaching a holster by bolting the QLS clip to the holster as above.

3. Just keep using your belt loop attachment that came with the holster.

Be aware that if you bolt it directly to the belt you may find the grip to be too close to your body for a comfortable draw. For my single stack holster I use the belt loops as that puts it close to (but not over) the 2" limit from the inside belt which I like for a better draw. Bolting it directly to the belt would be too close for me. Using a QLS would probably put it exactly where I like, but the loops are cheaper and I don't really have a need to quickly remove the single stack holster.

The mag pouches can be attached to ELS clips (http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/holsters-belt-gear/holster-accessories/equipment-locking-system-kit-for-els-belt-prod53948.aspx) in the same way. If they were mounted on a tech-lok (which works great on the ELS belt, btw) it may be the same pattern and bolt right on to an ELS clip, although I think the CR pouch only uses one hole so you may want to drill another. Might take a little creativity, but others have done it.

Also, T-nuts and screws are at the local Ace hardware although they are usually zinc coated and not black.

The ELS is a good belt, hope you enjoy!

I had much better luck using blade tech TMMS to mount a Blade Tech holster on ELS than I did with QLS. With some minor modifications I get 4 ELS screws in the TMMS versus just 2 with QLS.

Also with the QLS to holster was only able to get two screws in. Happy to show pictures if helpful.

thx. I just spoke to one of the on-line help experts from Brownell's. he is a 3-gun pro who uses the ELS system and he recommended that I go with the ELS for everything I want to attach: bladetech CZ holster, CR Speed mag pouches, safariland 014 holster, AP load-2 shot shell carries ... I also found sa thread from someone who pretty much did this same thing and had a nice pic of his setup ...

he also recommended a size 38-40 outer belt (my pants size is 34) & a 36 inner belt. Does that jive with what you all do?

thx. I just spoke to one of the on-line help experts from Brownell's. he is a 3-gun pro who uses the ELS system and he recommended that I go with the ELS for everything I want to attach: bladetech CZ holster, CR Speed mag pouches, safariland 014 holster, AP load-2 shot shell carries ... I also found sa thread from someone who pretty much did this same thing and had a nice pic of his setup ...

he also recommended a size 38-40 outer belt (my pants size is 34) & a 36 inner belt. Does that jive with what you all do?

Yes on belt size. Buy the inner belt per what you normally wear and go up 1 size for outer belt. Gives me 3 holes of overlap on outer belt and is very comfortable. I also rigged my holsters (bladetech) to els clips, they work fine for our game, (USPSA and 3 gun for me). I would also recommend buying a couple more els clips than what you need. They get used when you start experimenting with different gear sets.

The left attachment on the belt is a Blade Tech TMMS back. Next to that is the TMMS front attached to a Blade Tech Drop offset Hanger (DOH) to give you an idea of the typical attachment locations for the blade tech holsters.

Notice that the top two holes on the TMMS align with holes on the ELS with no modification. I have drilled two additional holes in the TMMS to lock into the bottom set of holes (inset for the hex heads).

Under the belt on the left is the QLS and on the right is an ELS.

Notice that the QLS only has 3 holes on the top that align with the ELS belt on the top row and no holes to attach to the bottom row. Also, looking at the QLS hanger you see that the top two holes are spaced correctly for the middle two holes on the DOH but there is no space for a third point of attachment as the QLS hole is much lower than the DOH's center hole.

The ELS is on the bbottom right. The top holes on the ELS hanger align with the bottom most holes of the DOH but like the QLS they leave no options for a third attachment point.

Only with the TMMS was I able to get an upper and lower attachment point from the belt to the quick-change hanger and from the hanger to the blade tech DOH or holster.

Edited by alma

I reread your original question.

I wasn't giving you options for mounting to ELS with the quick release option.

I think you can just screw the holster directly onto the ELS belt using the top two holes at a minimum. You could likely modify it for additional holes like I have done with the TMMS.

Edited by alma

I should have been more specific. Since I want to be able to use the one belt for USPSA Production, Steel Challenge Open and 3-gun Tac Ops I would like to have everything be quick release so i can easily change from one game to the others...