Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stupid reloading question

shel6977

I currently have single stage RCBS Rock Chucker and am trying to find progressive, leaning toward a Dillon 550. My question is in regards to any progressive presses really. I have very seldom had to trim pistol brass because the brass is over the max length but I have had to trim some 223 brass. How does this work with a progressive since you can't measure until after sizing? Do most just put them in the press and go or do people sort and load only the same head stamps or am I way overthinking this?

For the most part, you're not going to trim straight-walled pistol brass, period.

.223, you'll decap and re-size and then measure, trim and do primer pocket/de-crimp work if needed, then go back to the press to clear the primer hole (e.g. universal decapper), charge, seat, and optional crimp.

I started reloading .223 on my Dillon 550 earlier this year. For trimming, I use the Little Crow "Worlds Finest Trimmer".

No press needed.

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

I get where your going with the drill but they still need to be sized before trimming don't they?

Correct. I use two tool heads for .223 reloading.

After tumbling, I use the the first tool head to deprime and size the brass.

After sizing, I use a drill with the Little Crow trimmer followed by using the same drill with a small tool to cut out the primer crimp.

From there, its back through the 550 with the second tool head.

Station 1 uses a universal depriming tool to clean out the primer flash hole on the downstroke and setting a new primer on the upstroke.

Station 2 dispenses the powder.

Station 3 seats the bullet.

Station 4 has a crimp die.

If you want to do the entire process on a progressive, you can use the Dillon trimmer on a tool head after a size/decap die and trim them that way. Then install a "loading" tool head for the 2nd pass through the machine.