Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 Question's one is something I should know but don't

Ken_Bird

I have a Sig 226 X5 in 9mm. I bought the 22lr conversion kit for two reasons. Practice, and shooting in local 22lr steel challenge matches.

I own a S&W M&P 22lr made by Walther and it runs and runs and runs. It did this right out of the box. And is not picky on what brand of ammo I use.

Now ! The question

Do you have any tips, or recommendations I can do to insure this 22lr Sig conversion will run smoothly. More important in the match setting the practice.

Next Question "one I should know" Does sig make a 1911 in 9mm?

Thanks for anyone with advise.

Ken

Here is what I can tell with my experience with 3 SIG 22 conversions.

Ammo: Aguila Super Extra 40gr works best IMO. Aguila rimfire ammo is the only ammo that I have used that will go bang reliably when using 17lb mainsprings.

Of course CCI Mini Mags work great as well if you are not using a real light mainspring.With the Mini Mags if you get below 19lbs on the mainspring you may start to have a little trouble with reliable ignition.

Other than that as long as what ever ammo you are use is running a 40gr bullet at least 1200fps the SIG conversion should work OK. High velocity rounds with lighter bullets work also but in my experience the 40gr loads are more accurate. If you are running a lighter than stock mainspring you can possibly get by with slightly weaker ammo. You will just have to try that in your individual gun.

Keep the rails slightly wet with a light oil for lube. No grease. Grease will slow the 22 slide down and can cause problems.

The Traditional Match Elite is supposedly available in 9mm however I have never seen one.

Edited by staudacher