Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seeking help - Slide lock problems in Trojan w. Tripp mags

tbarker13

Trying to work out a problem that's popped up with my new STI Trojan - .40 cal.

Got a new set of Tripp System mags and went out to use them today. The gun randomly goes to slide lock while firing. Doesn't matter how many rounds are in the mag. It can happen after the first shot is fired. I think it happened four times in a row at one point.

So it seems pretty clear that it's not the follower that's engaging the slide stop.

And it's not my left hand hitting the slide stop. I put a disabled slide stop in the gun and put about 300 rounds through the gun without repeating the problem.

I did install one of the EGW raised mag catches. I'm wondering if there is something about the combination of that mag catch and the 10-round system mags that's causing the problem.

Has anyone run into this? And if so, is there a solution?

I was using 9 Round Tripps. But switched to the 10s after adding the Dawson Ice Magwell.

The gun is really pretty new - so I can't really say for certain that the 9 rounders are free of this problem.

OAL is 1.2.

Looks like I've figured i out.

I had the mag basepads cut for a Dawson Ice No Gap insert. But I don't yet have the no-gap insert. (I do have one on order.)

Without the no-gap insert, the mag body can move up high enough into the gun that it engages the slide lock.

Edited by tbarker13

That makes sense. Glad it was something easy. Can you post a picture of the the tripp base pads that have been cut for the no gap. I have been looking at a ice magwell but the expense of converting all my base pads to the Dawson's is making me rethink it.

Your rounds are sliding forward just enough to bump the slide stop up, locking the slide open. The easiest fix is to replace the slide stop with a 45 ACP slide stop that does not protrud as far into the frame. You can also trim the nose of your current slide stop.

The followers in your Tripp mags are configured such that they will work with a 45 ACP slide stop but some other 40/10mm mag followers may not.