Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P pro series 5" CORE .40s&w accuracy

Jay03

Just curious what some of you are getting for accuracy? And what do you think the accuracy potential is of this pistol (its stock except for the Apex FSS trigger)?

I'm developing hand loads for it and trying to improve over the factory Winchester ammo I've been shooting. I'm just curious how much load development I should mess with and what results I could possibly expect.

I was a little irked today when I fired a better 10 shot group with my .40C than I did with my 5" CORE! I'll be honest... I have not been blown away by the accuracy of the CORE pro series.... maybe I just haven't found the right load for it yet, or could I have received a lemon?

I'm usually a decent shot with a pistol... but I have my moments so maybe I just wasnt focusing as hard during that magazine of ammo through the 5".... we'll see...

I was able to print about a 1.5" to 2" group at 15 yards with VV 3n37 and berry's 180gr bullets. It had 2 flyers that were me but thats been about its best... some of the other powders were printing 3 and 4 inches. Not what I was hoping for???

What do you guys think?

Edited by Jay03

I guess the big question, for me anyway, is how accurate are you expecting the pistol/load to be? I don't have the C.O.R.E. but do have a .40 Pro 5" that I use for production division in USPSA and for steel challenge matches. For me 2" at 15 yards is plenty accurate. Will you be competing with your pistol? If so what kind of matches will you be shooting?

I guess the big question, for me anyway, is how accurate are you expecting the pistol/load to be? I don't have the C.O.R.E. but do have a .40 Pro 5" that I use for production division in USPSA and for steel challenge matches. For me 2" at 15 yards is plenty accurate. Will you be competing with your pistol? If so what kind of matches will you be shooting?

I don't really have a expectation of the pistol, I just wanted to see what others were seeing with their similar pistols. I'm in load development and trying to squeeze all I can out of it. And just curious if I'm chasing something that's unachievable..... you know what I mean? Its a factory 600 dollar gun so expecting it to shoot 1.5" groups at 50 yards probably would be unreasonable.... now if it were a 4000 dollar custom maybe not. So I just threw the question out there to see if I should just start loading ammo and shoot! Or if it would be worth my time and effort to try and get even better accuracy. Hope that makes sense.... its a very comfortable pistol in my hands and I like the way it shoots. I sold a Glock 35 to get this because it felt better to me. Now im just trying to load good accurate target/range ammo.

What grain bullets are you using?

My new Pro shoots 115's great and 147's like crap.

What grain bullets are you using?

My new Pro shoots 115's great and 147's like crap.

oops, forgot to respond to this above. I'm shooting 180 grain berry's bullets. It's a .40s&w

also curious do you guys see big differences between plated and jacketed bullets as far as accuracy?

My only problem with accuracy and plated bullets was completely my fault in that I initially crimped them too much and sometimes cut through the plating. I would have a nice, close group of 8 with 2 several inches outside that also tore the paper because the plating was coming off. I backed off on the crimp and all was good.

My only problem with accuracy and plated bullets was completely my fault in that I initially crimped them too much and sometimes cut through the plating. I would have a nice, close group of 8 with 2 several inches outside that also tore the paper because the plating was coming off. I backed off on the crimp and all was good.

I'm using a LEE factory crimp die, it doesn't appear to be crimping too much. How could I tell? Should I load a dummy round then unload the bullet to see if its getting crimped to much? Or would that not work.... if I dont crimp a little the rounds dont feed very smooth. So ive adjusted the LEE FC die until I get smooth reliable feeding.

Considering the company around here I am NOT the one to ask for reloading advice but what I do is measure the outside diameter of the case a quarter inch below the case mouth. I then slide the caliper up while watching the measurement. I try to have the diameter at the very top of the case mouth be 2 or 3 thousandths less than it was a quarter inch below. From experience, crimping 6 or 7 thousandths can sometimes cut the plating.

From: http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q12-c1-How_thick_is_the_jacket_on_your_bullets.aspx

Depending upon the caliber, the thickness of the plating on our bullets ranges from 3.5 up to 8 thousandths of an inch of plating on each side. This is thicker than paper and ensures no lead in your bore. The bullets designed for higher velocities (45-70, 500 S&W etc.) have the thickest plating.

Just to clarify, do you seat and crimp at the same time or at different stages?

My 4.25" Pro 40 CORE with the newer barrel and SNS 200gr coated bullets can put 5 rounds into a 3/4" hole offhand at 25'. Typical is more like 1.25" for me, but I'm pretty comfortable the difference is all me.

Considering the company around here I am NOT the one to ask for reloading advice but what I do is measure the outside diameter of the case a quarter inch below the case mouth. I then slide the caliper up while watching the measurement. I try to have the diameter at the very top of the case mouth be 2 or 3 thousandths less than it was a quarter inch below. From experience, crimping 6 or 7 thousandths can sometimes cut the plating.

From: http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q12-c1-How_thick_is_the_jacket_on_your_bullets.aspx

Depending upon the caliber, the thickness of the plating on our bullets ranges from 3.5 up to 8 thousandths of an inch of plating on each side. This is thicker than paper and ensures no lead in your bore. The bullets designed for higher velocities (45-70, 500 S&W etc.) have the thickest plating.

Just to clarify, do you seat and crimp at the same time or at different stages?

at different stages

My late 2013 vintage 5" 40 Pro grouped 6" to 8" at 25 yards with a variety of Berrys and Xtreme 180g plated bullets loaded at 155-170 PF with WSF and Win 231. Dropped in a KKM barrel, and groups shrank to roughly 4". Saw virtually identical results with my 9 Pro with stock vs KKM barrels. My 40 Pro shoots high with both barrels and all charges, so a taller front sight is needed. I'm running a 15lb recoil spring, and it does not appear to be stringing vertically.