Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

do i need to have a new bolt headspaced?

jriggs

I've never had to think about this before and I've never come across the topic...but if I decide to swap out the standard carrier/bolt for a low mass unit from JP....should I have the new bolt headspaced for my Shaw barrel? is that necessary?

thanks in advance,

riggs

Technically speaking, if the barrel is mil-spec, and the bolt is mil-spec, it will fall within the 5.56 headspace range. However, the NO-Go(max) gage for 5.56 is the same dimension as a FIELD(unsafe to fire) gage for .223rem. It is IMPERATIVE to know the specs on all the parts. If you don't have the information, a headspace check is a must. Just make sure your gunsmith uses the correct gage set for your chamber. (IE .223 OR 5.56mm, depending on what the barrel is marked). If it says .223/5.56, that is a misnomer. It can't be both, so this usually means it is the bigger of the two. Ironically, the GO(minimum) gage dimension is the same, it is only the max allowable gage size that is different.

ok thanks for the info....what I have is the ER Shaw 5.56 barrel off my Stag 3G in a JP CTR upper....and I've put a JP adjustable block on it and was toying with the idea of just snagging the low mass carrier/buffer/spring to finish things up. I figured it would be easiest to just order the carrier without the bolt and just swap the one from my Stag but was curious about headspacing if I desired to just order the compete carrier/bolt from JP