Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgdon Universal powder for Limited .40cal

Mell531

Hi Shooters,

In the last three years the cost of reloading ammo has gone up, as you all know. I'm replacing some of the components I use with items that are just as good but cost less. I've switched from using Montana Gold bullets to Rainier's. My favorite Limited .40cal powder load was Vihtavuori N-330 6.5grs, shot in my G35. I just ordered 8lb. of Hodgdon's Universal powder to replace the N-330. If you have worked up a load using Universal for IPSC Limited division would you please give me your info/feedback on this powder, thanks.

DVC,

Mell

Guest Larry Cazes

Mell, I found Uclays to be way too slow for optimum performance for major .40 loads. The recoil and muzzle rise were very large and would have limited the amount I would have practiced. Try something faster such as Hodgdon Titegroup or Winchester WST. I have been using WST for more than a year with excellent results, muzzle rise and velocity stats are very similiar to N320 and I have friends who swear by TG.

Larry,

CAre to sheare your data with WST. I am using MG 180s + 320s. I am on my last 2 pounds of VV 320. Not sure if I want to continue using VV 320s since their cost have gone up. Either way somethings gotta give. be it bullets or powder. Thanks.

Thanks for all the info Guys, I feel that I need a fast velocity bullet for moving and or swinging targets so I use a 155gr. PFP Rainier or 155gr. JHP MG .40cal bullet at 1.125OAL. The velocity is about 1100 which will get me to about 170PF. I see most Limited shooters are using 180gr. bullets to tame recoil and muzzle rise but 950V x 180gr. = 171PF and that is to slow for the way I shoot. The Montana Gold 155gr. JHP and the V V N-330 worked well together. I'm hoping that the Universal powder and the Rainier 155gr. PFP will work as good. I shoot Open and Limited division and never use Glock barrels in any of my four Glocks, they are all KKM barrels.

DVC,

Mell

Just so happen that I loaded up some 155 LRN bullets and 6.3 of Universal last week and it made major but don't remember the FPS as I chronoed about 25 loads that day. I do remember plenty of flames coming out of the end of the barrel with that load and it was very snappy. This was shot out of a P16-40 stock barrel.

Hope this helps.

.40cal Limited Load

Thanks for all your help Guys,

I just received my shipment from Powder Valley and I'm going to try and work up a load for my Limited G35 w/KKM barrel. I'll start at 5.7grs of Universal and work my way up, using the Rainier 155gr.PFP bullets.

DVC,

Mell