Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Recoil Spring Replacement Question?

Blue Jacket

Had some problems with my M2 at the Tarheel 3 Gun last weekend. Got some good advice and replaced the carrier and mag springs. Since I had to place a brownells order anyway I figured I would clean out and replace the recoil spring. I've shimmed my stock so I have had the stock off a couple times I take the stock off and can;t get the cap off that retains the recoil spring. It looks like I need a spanner wrench, but when I looked on line I couldn't really find anything that small. And why they didn't just notch that tube so you could get a box wrench on it is beyond me. Probably cost an extra 2 cents.

Any recommendations on where I can order a spanner wrench or tricks to get the plug off would be appreciated. Thanks

This was for my M1 Tactical:

I found the recoil spring tube red locktited to the receiver and the end cap also locktited.

When I first turned the endcap, the r/c spring tube came loose at the receiver due to oil in the threads or the like, so I removed the r/c spring tube from the receiver and put it in an aluminum AR barrel vice jaw clamp and stuck it in the vice.

With the recoil spring tube solidly clamped undamaged in the vice, I heated up the endcap and used used a small adjustable wrench to spin off the endcap- It worked great. Mine was the one with a tiny nut on the endcap . .

Then I polished up the interior of the r/c tube, lubed up the spring and tube, cleaned all threads, stuffed the spring into the r/c tube and red locktited the tube back into the receiver- being careful not to get locktite at the plunger area, tightened it all up and was good to go.

Brownells has an exploded diagram of the small parts for the r/c tube and the proper springs.

This might be similar for the M2 . . . Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I think for the time being I'll leave it alone. I do have a heat gun so if I do need to change the spring I should be able to make it happen. I had no idea they red loctited that cap in. No wonder I couldn't get it to move.