Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 truncated vs 147 rn plated berrys....

chopps

Would the recipie for one be the same for the other and what about oal ?

Only thing I am not 100% sure of is the truncated might be fmj . I know the berrys 147 is plated for sure and it may not make a diffirence but wanted all the facts out there.

I have loaded some truncated ones with hodgdon universal clays at 3.6 and a oal of 1.075 was curious if I needed to adjust that with the rn's 147's.

The truncated projectile is 0.654 in length and the rn is 0.672 so there is a 0.18 diffirence in length.

It may not be much difference but wanted to run this by more experienced loaders than me.

My question is ,

should make the berrys 147 rn 0.16 longer in OAL lenght to adjust for the added lenght in projectile VS the truncated 147's ?
Tia

Edited by chopps

Err brain f*rt.

just remembered that its the ogive I have to worry about and will load 4 up and make sure they cycle dry wise , then load 4 up with powder and shoot them to see how they do.

In my m&p I can go up to 1.160 and its fine just trying to figure out does the pressure increase that much in 30 to 40 thousands ?

Most of the ammo I load 124 gr its about 1.125 and curious if that is two tight pressure wise for the 147 gr with titegroup 3.6 or sr4756 with 3.6.

Is there any formula for maybe 10 thousands shorter or vise versa in any amounts or is it just wishfull thinking and testing is then only way for us weekend loaders.

Edited by chopps

First you need to know what the max OAL is going to be with the TC's. It may be drastically shorter and if that is the case, and it normally is, you might want to drop the powder charge and work your way back up. Just because one bullet is longer or shorter may not make a big difference if you are not already at the maximum charge. Check to see how much shorter the OAL is with the TC's and that will tell you if you need to drop the powder charge.

I'm loading Berrys 147 gr RN over 3.3 gr of TG to a COL of 1.160 for my G17. Seems to work well so far. I haven't seen any feed issues. I got the load recipe from my shooting buddy who is running the same gun/load combo. One thing I will point out is that the plated bullets will give you some minor differences on COAL and from what I have read that is due to the plating thickness from bullet to bullet. It's not a lot, but I have noticed it when I check every 10-20 rounds.

SR7625 in most loads I have tried seems to be a little slower than TG and is a little more forgiving. 3.6 of it works well for me with the 147 TC loaded to 1.120 OAL and runs about 130 PF. The round nose X-Treme bullets will easily load to a longer OAL but you will have to try the TC's in yours to be sure.