Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with 550 - indexing and loose/wobbly brass

Hi.

I am having an issue with the indexing on my 550. In the video below you can see that every fourth turn of the index sprocket there is an obvious "hitch" in the indexing. It makes the indexing very rough on that 4 turn but 1-3 turns are smooth a silk. It's to the point where I am starting to spill powder when indexing from station 2 to 3.

Also, as seen in the second part of the video, my brass is very wobbly or loose in the stations.

I have had this problem for a while now and I have, literally, tried to adjust or tweek everything that I know to adjust or tweek. If I tighten the main bolt anymore the indexing gets very rough and eventually locks up. If I loosen it anymore it gets very sloppy and doesn't center at each station.

Any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64TF7u8KPFw

Edited by blueorb

Check the height of the case ejector wire. That's the triangle shaped wire on the platform right after the cartridge chute. It might be contacting one of the arms on the indexing sprocket. The ejector wire is a press fit into the platform and you can move it up and down, pry on it with a screw driver or tap it with the end of a screwdriver handle. You can add some tape to the screwdriver to keep from scratching things up.

FWIW, my 550b had inconsistant indexing as well. It would snap/click into 3 stations, but it would not on the 4th. The 4th station it was sluggish and would just drag itself into position. A new indexing sproket and shellplate from Dillon helped but did not completely eliminate it.

Well, I'll be danged. Thanks for the reply, ToneSurfer. That's exactly what it is. One of the arms on the sprocket is bent to the point where it is contacting and dragging across the ejector wire. I would have never looked at that on my own.

However, the wire is sitting pretty close to being flush with the shell plate. I don't have enough room to move it down. I will try and lightly bend the sprocket arm. If that doesn't work I will ask Dillon to send me a new one. No idea how that arm got bent like that....

Edited by blueorb