Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 major vs minor

LoganbillJ

I have been shooting open for awhile and have been considering setting up for major. Does anyone have a side view of the same gun shooting both major and minor? I am looking for the least amount of flip. Videos of glocks are ideal but any others will be fine. Thanks in advance.

The formula for ammo with the least recoil WITHOUT a compensator is to use heavy bullets in combination with a gunpowder than produces the least recoil. Which gunpowder should you use? A gunpowder that requires the smallest charge weight to achieve your desired velocity, because less gunpowder weight for the same velocity means less recoil. Check your reloading manual for that information.

When loaded to the same power factor, heavy bullets have slightly less recoil than light bullets.

http://38super.net/Pages/Recoil.html

WITH a compensator the formula is reversed, and you want a light bullet with a powder that requires a large charge weight for the same velocity. More gunpowder means more gas for the compensator.

Edited by superdude

If you're shooting a Glock .40, WHY would you want to shoot Open minor?

You're already at a disadvantage in terms of mag capacity. Making major with a .40 S&W is easy. It's basically a standard pressure load.

Like Superdude said, the only factor is are you using a comp or not. No comp = heavy bullets and fast powder. Comp = lighter bullets and slower powder.

I understand the formula behind compensated and non-compensated and which powders to use. I shoot mainly 3 gun so really the whole "minor vs major" is null and void. I used that terminology because everyone understands it. I really am looking for video from the side showing how flat the gun stays. Heck even a gun shooting minor with and without a comp would work.

My gun stays pretty flat right now(non-comped minor) but any and every advantage is worth it.