Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated lead through ported barrel.

sb3

Looking for anyone with experience shooting coated lead bullets through a ported barrel. I'm liking the price and want to give coated lead a try. I'm comfortable cleaning the comp but I want to know what if any effect the ports drilled in my schuemann barrel will have on the coating and accuracy? I'm thinking of trying some blue bullets but thought I would ask here first.

If your ports are properly drilled you will have no cutting. You asked for experience with coated bullets and ports, I have that and I recommend the BBI black bullets, at this point I consider it to be the best coated bullet out there. Now having said that I'm also testing some of the new SnS bullets they have a different profile and not as a slick coating as the BBI but they shoot very well in my minor guns I have yet to test them at open pf but I think they will be up to the task. I have no experience with the blue bullets they just dont appeal to me at all. In short a full copper jacketed will always be best for open pf but if your looking to save some money and get close to that quality BBi is your best bet.

• 1 month later...

Testing some SnS bullets this week. gonna use the same load that I use for MG. I think I'll be able to lower it as it is still a lead bullet. I've been told by others that hey have used them in Europe for a while now.

Let you know what I find out!

After about 1500 rounds of 124 gr blue bullets I can say definitively that the coating holds up great. No cutting, no leading and stellar accuracy. Great value in my opinion.