Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sold my XDS

tambarika

I have 5 XD models and one XDM. All of them are reliable (0.10% failure rate). I bought an XDS (45 ACP) about 5 months ago -- thought I was going to put it on my CCW along with my 3 and 4 inch 40 S&W XD.

Yes, it went back to Springfield for the recall. The two most prevalent criticisms of the XDS I have seen are trigger reset issues and feeding problems on the first round of a full mag. I had both of these. Even with a PRP trigger kit the best I could do was about a 7.5# trigger. The PRP striker spring gave me frequent light strikes so I switched back to the stock one.

I had reset issues about once every 15 rounds. In spite of the great accuracy of the pistol, the feeding and reset issues left me with a pistol that I would not use confidently for self defense. I put nearly 400 rounds through the gun -- so it was broken in. The recall did not address either of these common problems.

If you want to understand part of the feeding problem, align an XDS mag with a Wilson Combat mag, and note the difference in the feed angle. I massaged the ramp on the loading block several times (changed angle slightly and polished) -- this alleviated most of the feeding problems, but still the gun was not reliable enough for me.

The first round feeding problem was a real show stopper for me. If you have experienced this, you know how hard it is to clear -- it is a real brute force monster.

While I will not hesitate to continue to recommend Springfield (and PRP) products, I think this particular model should be approched with caution. I might like to try one in 9mm to see if it has the same first round feeding issues.

They are also a bear to work on. I can disassemble an XD or XDM and repair, modify, enhance it with almost no effort at all. Not so with the XDS. The smaller parts shoved very closely together make it much more difficult to work with.

While I learned to deal with the extremely heavy trigger, I can't say that I was thrilled to have to work with something that heavy.

I accompanied a friend, to Buckeye Outdoors yesterday, where he bought an XDS in 9mm. He wanted something smaller than his Kimber, for carry. They have the stainless slide model on sell for $519.00.

Back at my place, we shot the crap out of it. Ran good but, that trigger . . . :(

The trigger weight can be changed without ANY spring changes to the 4# range. We've been doing piles of them, but they are no XDM.

I am passing this along to him. If it were mine, I'd be forced to send it your way.

The trigger weight can be changed without ANY spring changes to the 4# range. We've been doing piles of them, but they are no XDM.

Without revealing any secret tricks, what parts are you altering/swapping out in the XDs's to improve the trigger pull?

• 3 weeks later...

got rid of my XDs in .45acp and bought an east german Makarov for carry instead.

the .45acp xds was a real PITA with lead reloads, and wasn't much fun to shoot imho... maybe it just wasn't right for my hands, felt really weird.