Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

On The Edge-- So What To Wk On ?

Piney

I've hit a bit of a plateau. I compare my scores with a few of the same folks that I've shot with for a while. Some are same clasification, others are higher Over the past doz or so matches, I've noticed my scoring is quite similar but my raw times are where the scores differ. I roughly calculate that on each taget in a stage, I average 3/4 of to a second or so slower-- .75 x the 30 vvvvvvvpp targets total for the match for example is close to the dif in total score. I understand there are other factors-- draw, moving etc-- but I use this as a concrete measurement.

At the time, I feel Im shooting about as fast as I am able to still maintain good scores. I can shoot faster but I typically find the score suffers, depending on the distance,

I'm leaning towards removing some of the raw time by a faster draw and better reloads. This SROM (slightly rotund old man...) aint going to move much faster LOL.

So-- question is-- concentrate to reduce time per target (faster shooting, faster acquisition) or concentrate on removing the time elsewhere ? Several have suggested work on the shooting as that provides a more consistant increase across the targets, where as moving/reloads don't always apply as heavily, depending in the stage design

SROM has something going for him that STOM(skinny twig old man) doesn't. Little bit of extra weight can help with shooting on the move. Instead of trying to shoot faster, try to shoot more efficiently. In other words don't always stop moving. If you can move and shoot it's just as good as moving while reloading. With a little practice I realized that it's not as hard as I thought to shoot on the move.

Also there is good time to cut off when you do stop at a shooting position by shooting as soon as you get there and moving as soon as you are done. Just try and make your whole game more efficient. The way you described how you waste time on each target is the same for being efficient too, each little advance adds up in the end! Plan your foot work better to remove stutter steps and work on stage planning.

There are tons of areas besides transitions to gain time, I believe with better rewards as well.

Everyone says that efficient stage movement gets us the most gains and I'm not going to disagree. I suspect, unless you just shoot glacially slow, this is the case and even as an older competitor you'd be better off moving more efficient.

However, you seemed to have studied your shooting and you know you are losing time across arrays, err, or just one target? Anyway, you seem set on acquiring this skill. So here ya go............

FIRST

SEE BRIAN'S TRANSITION DRILL: then PM Brian and he'll give you the second part. Gotta do the first part and post before the second part.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109493&page=1

Also

I really liked setting up one target and whaling on it as fast as possible. Of course while observing the sights. Another thing I found helpful was setting up 3 targets and whaling across all 3. When they are close together, a yard or less, the splits and transititions can be identical. With some practice you'll get faster in no time.

Edited by Chris iliff