Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MG rules: min caliber/cartidge for rifle

photog

Looking the MG rulebook, there is a Min Caliber/cartridge rule in place for rifles at 5.45x39.

This round is a high velocity, light weight round, 49gr at 3000fps for 5N7 FMJ, power factor of 147.

What exactly constitutes something equal to or larger than the minimum?

Would it be based on PF? the min PF for HF scoring is 125, which is not much....

Is 7.62x33 equal to or larger than 5.45x39?

Is 7.62x35 equal to or larger than 5.45x39?

Is there some way to make a determination based on actual measurements?

Is 9.1x40 allowed at a PF of 354? (hint that's .357RemMax 180gr at 1968fps data from Wikipedia)

If not is that because is not a bottleneck case?

If we need to have bottleneck case, then is 50Beowolf, .45-70 or even .50-90 legal?

If we don't need a bottleneck case then is 357mag legal? Its 9.1x33 and PF of 205 (158gr at 1300fps -easy to do with a 16" barrel)

Lots of issues here, and a clear cut rule is needed.(at least in my mind)

I propose that the actual bullet diameter times the actual case length should be the "standard" AND up the min PF to 140.

5.45x39 is actually 5.60mm by 39.82 giving a Cartridge size of "223mm".

Using this calculation (and setting a min of "223mm") and the power factor of 140 should make it easier to:

1. determine if your cartridge is in fact legal.

2. push development of new cartridges (ala .300 aac blk came out of 300 gremlin shot by the USAMU in MG games)

3. allow handloaders to upload or download as necessary to meet the regulations.

4. allow a match official to just measure the pulled bullet, the empty case, weigh the bullet, fire 3 rounds and plug in the numbers. No judgment calls required.

5. exclude low power "rifle" rounds and high powered "pistol" rounds, which I believe is the intent of the min cartridge rule anyways.

Ummmm... I think there is more to it than min caliber. It's not just projectile diameter. You would be welcome to run the 9.1x40, but it would be tough at longer ranges and mag capacity probably wouldn't be all that great. You have to run something with enough energy to activate LR steel targets in a fashion that allows the RO's to reliably call hits.

And, I thought that min PF for rifle (in USPSA) was closer to 160.

Edited by wgj3

That's right, Min PF is 150.

I'm planning on running a multi gun match, and was looking at the rulebook in preperation. My range is going to be max 50yds, so needing a long range cartridge is out.

I was planning on being able to allow pistol caliber, or at least .30 M1 carbine, but the new rules (Rulebook 1-1-2014final.pdf) are making it more unclear than clear.