Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice on first loads - start slow?

SWHlctx

I'm new to reloading and after reading reloading posts until I'm about blind and totally confused, I have a question on how to start.

As far as supplies go, I have been able to get ahold of Winchester Autocomp, Titegroup and Bullseye powders. Haven't bought any bullets yet, but I had planned on going with Bayou Bullet 9mm 147. Seems like everyone at my club is using them. Probably because we are close to them and the price.

While reading the various reloading posts I came across a couple that recommended starting with a lower weight bullet (115 or 124) and use FMJ or some other plated bullet to start. From what I understood the BB 147 is harder to get right and FMJ is easier to learn on?

Also read some posts that recommended starting with something other than Titegroup.

I'm planning on starting with some "dry" runs just to get the "feel" of loading on the 550B.

So I guess the question is do I start with the "learn on" loads or go with the 147 rounds I really want to make?

Nothing wrong with the 147's - you just need to crimp them properly.

You want to just remove the belling on the cartridge case, not actually

impart a crimp on the bullet.

To get started, adjust the belling die, and adjust the powder charge

(I'd say any of the powders should be okay, but not the greatest);

then adjust the seating depth - try to set the bullets just a little deeper

than is necessary to avoid the rifling in the barrel.

Then adjust the "crimp" or bell removal -

Take your barrel out of the gun, and use it to adjust both the seating

depth and the crimp - cartridges (dummy) should seat fully in the

chamber of the barrel.

Then, pull one bullet, and make sure you have not crimped so much

that you've scored the bullet.

If everything's good - you're set to try a few over your chrono.

Before you do any of this - spend a half hour reading

"Forums - Reloading - 9mm" .

Good luck. :cheers:

(I'd say any of the powders should be okay, but not the greatest);

Before you do any of this - spend a half hour reading

"Forums - Reloading - 9mm" .

Good luck. :cheers:

Hi Power Jack, great advice, thank you.

I wasn't thrilled about the powders either, but I got what I could find. Everyone tells me I should start with something like W231, but no one can tell me where to find it.

I did work out a trade with a guy I shoot with. He likes Titegroup and couldn't find it, so I traded him 2# of Titegroup for 2# of HP-38.

I've spent some hours reading through the reloading forums. Lots of good information, but I've found I really have to sift through it because of the conflicting opinions. Seems like one person likes X, but another one thinks X sucks, LOL.

Well, the good news is that HP-38 is the same as WW231 :goof:

When you're first beginning, don't worry about peoples' preferences -

if three people like three different loads, they all must be pretty good. :bow:

If you start around 3.3 gr HP-38, at OAL of 1.12 - 1.14, you should be

a little under 130 PF (I got up to 3.6 grains in my gun to get to PF 130).

Lots of fun to work up loads - start anywhere, shoot them for accuracy,

feel, smoke and velocity - and pick a load YOU prefer - then you

can chime in and disagree with everyone and tell everybody why

YOU like your favorite load. :roflol:

Are you loading for practice and fun or eventually for competition? In any case I'd start on the fun side:

• go on line and copy and print the loading tables of Hodgdon Powders http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ to give you an idea on load possibilities for the round you want to start with. They guide you on OAL and powder choices.
  • browse a Lyman Reload Manual at your gun shop or show if available. I use it, online data and the forum to scope anything new I want to try.
  • Clean some brass and make 20 rounds of whatever bullet you like- cheap and great for practice are Xtreme Bullets-plated and no shipping costs. Can buy as little as 250 at a pop. Everyone has favorites but for practice keep the bullet cost down to 8-12cents-doable if you shop 9mm or 40 cal S/W. Outside of these popular calibers you get pricey real fast.

I always make dummy rounds(MT case, bullet, no powder, no primer) the first time I make a new bullet combo on an established case size. A case gauge is critical but the acid test for chamber and slide extraction is to run the dummies with mags through the cycles of load and extract by hand.

If you don't have a chrono yet don't worry. Stay safe and go slow. Start on the low side of the load specs for powder, get the OAL right, the crimp issue can show up in the case gauge or the dummy tests and then shoot 'em on the range. You'll learn that you can make rounds that have the recoil and feel that you come to like and appreciate. Very subjective stuff.

Plenty of Forum ideas but as said above.."everyone likes their's BEST.w/a grain of sale and patience you'll find what floats your boat.

Don't over think the matter but be careful and create good habits for safety and common sense aspects.

Have fun !!

Chuck

Seems like everyone at my club is using them. Probably because we are close to them and the price.

Ask each one what their load is and offer to pay them to let you try out a few with their pistol. Once you find the one you like most, load that one.

You will need to know:

What bullet weight (and brand if not Bayou)

Style of bullet if they offer more than one (RN, FP, etc)

OAL of finished round.

Powder type and charge.

What primer they are using.

I appreciate everyone's help. All great suggestions. I did get a couple of loading books and bunch of other data so I'm good on that end. I really like the "dry run" idea. All I need to do now is get started.