Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDm Trigger Failure

Reshoot

I ain't never seen this type of failure! :surprise:

Shot a 5 stage match this past Sunday . . . went to the safe area, confirmed chamber was empty, pulled the trigger and released the striker. Put gun in the case. Later, Sunday evening, pull the gun out of the case to put it in the safe. Confirmed chamber was empty and pull the trigger . . . nothing. Well, except that the trigger traveled reward until it stopped against the frame. Tried it again, with same results. After I inserted a little screwdriver, to release the striker, I disassembled the gun and found the trigger as pictured here.

I have been shooting XDm's since 2009, and this is the first time I have ever been forced to return a gun to Springfield Armory. I did not know they pay shipping both ways . . . sweet! Shannon emailed me a FedEx label and I dropped the gun off in town this morning . . . on its way!

post-23750-0-58972000-1395164623_thumb.j

Ouch, I'm starting to think I should keep a spare in my parts box.

If only that were possible :blush:

Springfield Armory will replace the broken trigger . . . even pay shipping both ways. And, you can't beat that! :D

But. they would not send me a new trigger, even if I were to send them the broken one first. Can I just buy a new trigger outright? No, she told me . . . that creates a liability issue for Springfield.

Well, my open XDm is missing all those inner safety part thingys, so . . . what to do? I swapped the trigger out with the trigger in my factory stock XDm, and sent them that gun ;)

Silly people! What XDm owner has not completely disassembled their lower? I do it twice a year! Oh well, they do pay shipping both ways, as I said.

Springfield Armory will replace the broken trigger . . . even pay shipping both ways. And, you can't beat that! :D

But. they would not send me a new trigger, even if I were to send them the broken one first. Can I just buy a new trigger outright? No, she told me . . . that creates a liability issue for Springfield.

Well, my open XDm is missing all those inner safety part thingys, so . . . what to do? I swapped the trigger out with the trigger in my factory stock XDm, and sent them that gun ;)

Silly people! What XDm owner has not completely disassembled their lower? I do it twice a year! Oh well, they do pay shipping both ways, as I said.

That's why I buy aftermarket trigger assys and carry all the factory stuff with me as a spare.

That's why I buy aftermarket trigger assys and carry all the factory stuff with me as a spare.

You carry the factory trigger parts around? Is that something you would swap out at a match?

I only carry 4 parts, in my range bag. (1) extra recoil spring, (2) the slide / striker spring pin, (3) a spare Carver mount / trigger assembly bolt and (4) a second gun. If the first 3 parts do not fix the problem, I go directly to the backup gun. I won't disassemble my gun any further, on a safe area bench. Too many stinking small pieces-parts to keep track of.

I am nursing thoughts of purchasing an after market trigger. But then, would there be a problem installing it in a Springer built gun? Then there is this fact . . . 3 XDm's, with the oldest one 5 years old now, and this is the first timer ever a part has failed.

Edited by Reshoot

they sold me a takedown lever over the phone no questions asked.

Hey, RammerJammer, do me a favor and call them again. Tell them you want to price a trigger. See what they say!

I would call but, if I get connected to Shannon again she may remember me from Monday. I tired everything to talk her out of a trigger, and was turned down. However, was it because she knew I had a broken gun???

they sold me a takedown lever over the phone no questions asked.

Hey, RammerJammer, do me a favor and call them again. Tell them you want to price a trigger. See what they say!

I would call but, if I get connected to Shannon again she may remember me from Monday. I tired everything to talk her out of a trigger, and was turned down. However, was it because she knew I had a broken gun???

Just talked to Vicki and she gave me the same liability speal. Seems suspect. Its just a plastic hook.

You carry the factory trigger parts around? Is that something you would swap out at a match?

I only carry 4 parts, in my range bag. (1) extra recoil spring, (2) the slide / striker spring pin, (3) a spare Carver mount / trigger assembly bolt and (4) a second gun. If the first 3 parts do not fix the problem, I go directly to the backup gun. I won't disassemble my gun any further, on a safe area bench. Too many stinking small pieces-parts to keep track of.

I am nursing thoughts of purchasing an after market trigger. But then, would there be a problem installing it in a Springer built gun? Then there is this fact . . . 3 XDm's, with the oldest one 5 years old now, and this is the first timer ever a part has failed.

i only gave the XDM as a backup to my real gun. :) And I only take it to majors so I can have something to shoot in an emergency. Yeah, I would change anything needed to keep shooting if I was in deep at a big match

Having a second gun (and maybe a third) is absolutely the way to go if you can, but I still keep a plano box full of every part I can in my shooting bag for big matches. I've got basically one of every spring in the gun, retainer pins, trigger parts, etc, just in case. I'd rather swap guns than fix something between stages, but for multi-day matches I usually tear the gun down and check it out each night and I want to be able to replace anything that looks like it might cause a problem. This is totally overkill of course with an XDm...

i only gave the XDM as a backup to my real gun. :) And I only take it to majors so I can have something to shoot in an emergency. Yeah, I would change anything needed to keep shooting if I was in deep at a big match

Your real gun, eh? Well to that I say :P

:)

But I would not be afraid to knock out a few pins to change a trigger group. I carry spare aftecs, ejector, etc for my 2011 as well. I actually have a second shooters connection bag that stays in the truck with tools, parts, spare eyes and ears, shoes, etc.

Are the triggers plastic now? I see where a couple of people have mentioned that, unless they're talking about some other part of the trigger I can't see. As far I can tell, the triggers in my 2009 and 2011 Tacticals are all metal. I no longer own it, but it seems like I remember the trigger in my 07 service model being metal.

I checked mine again, and it appears the middle part, the safety part, or whatever they call it, is plastic. I learned something new today.

Edited by grapemeister

Are the triggers plastic now? I see where a couple of people have mentioned that, unless they're talking about some other part of the trigger I can't see. As far I can tell, the triggers in my 2009 and 2011 Tacticals are all metal. I no longer own it, but it seems like I remember the trigger in my 07 service model being metal.

I checked mine again, and it appears the middle part, the safety part, or whatever they call it, is plastic. I learned something new today.

my entire trigger is plastic on my XDM

I can not speak of the XD Tatical, but the XDm triggers have been all plastic since . . . well, I bought my first one in early '09 and the trigger is ALL polymer (do not confuse the XD, with the XDm, as they are two different guns).

She is one of the ones that has the "Handgun Of the Year" insignia on top of the slide.

Edited by Reshoot

I've seen a handful of XDm's with metal triggers, but all the newer ones, including all the 5.25s have plastic ones as far as I can tell. Honestly, it never really seemed liked a big deal, I had never seen a factory one break, until now....

I've seen a handful of XDm's with metal triggers, but all the newer ones, including all the 5.25s have plastic ones as far as I can tell. Honestly, it never really seemed liked a big deal, I had never seen a factory one break, until now....

Exactly! Makes you (and me) wonder what I did to cause it. And, I do not have a clue :blush:

Jerking the trigger? lol

Seriously, you dry fire a lot don't you? Maybe that's a contributor?

Well, you've got me to wondering now, Kevin :blush:

My first dry fire book was Steve Anderson's. No racking the slide to cock / set the striker on the sear . . . "finger on the trigger, do not pull the trigger", as Steve says. At some point, lord knows how long ago, I started simulating breaking the shot by pressing the trigger just enough to get through the take up. Maybe I have been pressing more than I think!

Insert epiphany here.

I am going to start setting the striker, before dry fire, and simulate breaking the shot by pressing through that little bit of take up, without releasing the striker.

Wish me luck . . . I'm getting too old to be learning new shit :huh:

Not to beat a dead horse, but this trigger thing is an example of where Springfield has gone wrong on supporting the XDm. I firmly believe you should be able to buy any breakable part of the gun as a spare, but their insistence on replacing things for you, like extractors and now the trigger, is a giant pain when I could do it myself in a few minutes. I love the XDm and will continue to shoot one for a long time, but I don't want to be without my competition gun for a few weeks just so they can replace a part and "protect themselves from liability."

Jerking the trigger? lol

Seriously, you dry fire a lot don't you? Maybe that's a contributor?

Well, you've got me to wondering now, Kevin :blush:

My first dry fire book was Steve Anderson's. No racking the slide to cock / set the striker on the sear . . . "finger on the trigger, do not pull the trigger", as Steve says. At some point, lord knows how long ago, I started simulating breaking the shot by pressing the trigger just enough to get through the take up. Maybe I have been pressing more than I think!

Insert epiphany here.

I am going to start setting the striker, before dry fire, and simulate breaking the shot by pressing through that little bit of take up, without releasing the striker.

Wish me luck . . . I'm getting too old to be learning new shit :huh:

Well, after two dry fire sessions . . . 10 drills and 150+ simulated shots, I am convinced dry fire is not what caused the trigger to fail. I cocked the gun and never once pressed the trigger enough to release the striker from the sear. And, this gun has a Springer-installed very sweet trigger.

I forgot all about the gun being cocked, and got into the drills. I am simulating breaking a shot by pressing the trigger just enough to take up that tiny bit of slack.

FedEx delivered my XDm, yesterday afternoon, 10 days after I sent it off.

The packing slip shows SA replaced the trigger (with safety), part #XDM0039 and trigger bar spring, part #XDM0009.

Life is good :D

• 1 year later...

Two guns down with broke triggers in almost as many weeks. The 1st was my primary gun, XD Tactical, almost three weeks ago. It has around 10,000 rounds through it. The trigger in my backup gun, also an XD Tactical, broke today. It has between 125,000 and 150,000 rounds through it.

Still waiting for the 1st gun to get back from Springfield Armory. I should have sent the 1st gun to SA the day after it broke, but instead I waited until the next week. Dummy me, that's what I get for being lazy/procrastinating.

Totally depressing, especially since I'm headed to the IPSC Nationals next week. Mainly going to RO, but shooting is fun, too. Time for a 3rd XD?

Edited by grapemeister