Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip compatibility of p226 and x-five?

RNA

I'm a total Sig newb and I'm trying to do my research before considering buying one for range fun/HD. Not having been able to compare them in person, to my eye, it looks like the Sig X-five comes with the E2 grips. But reading through various forums, it seems like the X-five grips are proprietary to the model and aren't the same E2 grips of the P226. Are the P226 and X-five grips incompatible? I really love the look of the Hogue G-Mascus grips for the X-five (http://www.g10grips.com/pages/g10-auto-grips.php), and was really hoping they would fit on a P226. Thanks in advance for clearing up the confusion for me!

X5's don't come with E2's (at least, I've never seen any that did), but they can be made to fit. X5's have a small shelf at the bottom of the grip frame for the proprietary magwell. All of them have it, regardless of whether they come with the magwell.

Standard P226 grips just need to be cutout for that shelf if you don't have a magwell. If you have a magwell, the entire grip needs to be shortened. If you call Hogue to order G10's and tell them what gun they are for, they will mill them for the proper fit for a minimal fee.

On E2's, you'll probably need to modify them yourself. But since they're plastic, it shouldn't be too hard to cut. Keep in mind that E2 grips require you to replace the hammer strut and mainspring seat, which will alter your trigger pull due to the different geometry. If you want to buy E2's, make sure to get the kit and not just the grips someone is selling. You can run standard grips with E2 internals, but not vice-versa.

I should say that all of this is based upon the previous version of X5. I haven't handled any of the newer X-Line guns, but I would guess (operative word) that they have that shelf as well.

Edited by JAFO

I put the e2 grips on my Allround without mods or issue.

That's surprising. I have seen pictures of unmodified E2's on an Allround where they left a small gap at the bottom between the grip and the frame.

Just got back from the range comparing my CZ PCR (tricked out with all the trigger goodies from Cajun Gun Works) vs. my buddy's E2 P229 with the SRT. I was totally expecting to convert him to CZs, but damned if I didn't get the best group of the day with his weapon! I'm totally sold on Sigs now and was wondering how different would an E2 P229 feel compared to an E2 P226 Stainless Elite? As far as I understand it, the P229 comes with a slightly thicker grip than the P226. Would getting an E2 shrink everything down tot he same size? Please help a converting Sig fan out, and thanks for the responses so far!

I can't say about the difference in E2 grips between a 229 and a 226, but unless your friend's 229 was an all-stainless model, it had an aluminum frame and a stainless slide. A 226 Stainless Elite has a stainless frame and slide, so it will be significantly heavier.

Edited by JAFO

• 2 weeks later...