Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Grip Tape - TruGrip

Marshal82

I just did this to my 34 last week. Used skate tape which I got for free at my local skate shop. First I made a template out of blue painters tape which I then transferred to the skate tape. One side of the grip, place the tape template on the grit, and for the other side of the grip, place the template on the adhesive backing.

One thing you'll notice in the pics is that the factory grip texture is showing through. Grip tape is plastic so if you warm it up with a Bic lighter and press firmly you can get it to not only conform to the original grip texture, but it adheres much better. On the Glock you get the grip of both the tape and the OEM texture if you do it this way. I've been doing this on my STI forever and have never had a single problem with the tape coming off. Just be careful not to heat it too much as we're dealing with plastic here.

post-41423-0-80962700-1396966201_thumb.jpost-41423-0-34849800-1396966236_thumb.jpost-41423-0-55128300-1396966256_thumb.jpost-41423-0-85894600-1396966278_thumb.j

Buy some skateboard grip tape and cut out the sizes needed. I put masking tape over the grips and outline what I want. Then put the tape on the grip tape and cut it out and stick it on. Simple and cheap.

I have a piece of skateboard grip tape I bought years ago for less than $10 and still have tons left. Use it on my bolt guns too. Look on Amazon. A 9" by 33" piece for $6.47 and free shipping.

photo17_zps0dd1e743.jpg

Looks great!

Update-

Received the TruGrips from Eric, they are not the same as what I received from Manny. Same pattern, Manny's set have a thicker more silicon base that adheres very well to the gun but they are overly aggressive!

I got some skateboard tape from a local shop and traced the pattern and put those on, about perfect in my opinion but didn't apply as easy but they seem to be fine with a little spot heating with a lighter from another post above. The texture is just about right, very grippy but I can still move my hand some if needed.

The TruGrips I received from Eric yesterday were about the same texture and thickness of the skate board tape but pre-cut in the pattern. I do like this pattern that covers most of the grip surface. I could use a little less at the bottom but I really like how it wraps around the front of the grip.

I'll try to get pictures loaded soon to show the differences.

OK !: I've went and used 3M anti slip tape.black sand paper type. How do you remove it ? to replace it . I called 3M they said to heat it up a little , hair drier what ever, and then use 91% alcohol to remove the stick residue. Is this the best way ?

Thanks Marshal82; After you got the edge up did you have to continually apply the heat while pulling , and do I need a third hand to hold onto the gun while I pull, or will it peel right off pretty easy because of the heat ? i also wondered if that liquid Goof product might work better than alcohol.

With a little heat I didn't have any problem with residue, depending on your tape you may have a different result. I just held the gun in left hand, applied heat with my right. Heat it a little, set the heat down, pull a little till it stops coming off easy, heat some more....etc.