Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Toolhead room with RT 1200 Trimmer

• 2 weeks later...

On a 550, if there is a RT1200 in station 3, is there is enough room to run a die in station 4?

Thanks

What do you need another die on the toolhead for. Should only need decapping and Trim dies

I want to run a Lyman "M" die to bell the case mouth a slight bit for flat base bullets.

Try taking a look at the new 300 Blackout trim die kit for 550 from GSI International, Inc. (http://www.gsiinternational.com/300-Blackout-for-550_8_4244_8645.html).

Don't know if the toolhead will work with standard Dillon trim dies, but looks like it has an integral vacuum port. Not sold separately though.

Edited by 808win

I noticed that Dillon is selling the RL550 GSI Trimmer Toolhead (#12256) on their website for $39.99. They're also selling the XL650 GSI Trimmer Toolhead (#12258) for $49.99. Still don't know if they will work with standard Dillon size/trim dies. Check with Dillon or GSI.

Edited by 808win

On a 550, if there is a RT1200 in station 3, is there is enough room to run a die in station 4?

Thanks

What do you need another die on the toolhead for. Should only need decapping and Trim dies

I want to run a Lyman "M" die to bell the case mouth a slight bit for flat base bullets.

How do you de-lube?

I find that if I run an M die on the prep/trim toolhead then tumble off the lube, the flare is practically removed by the tumbling. I've moved the M die to the loading toolhead now. Due to the absence of lube I run a custom expander that doesn't touch the case neck ID but just flares a little - 0.304/0.312 from memory. If neck expanding is required I still do that on the prep/trim toolhead with a Sinclair floating expander with carbide mandrel. This is for .308 Win on a 1050, and I have to leave both stations adjacent to the RT1200 empty.

Edited by roxfo

I noticed that Dillon is selling the RL550 GSI Trimmer Toolhead (#12256) on their website for $39.99. They're also selling the XL650 GSI Trimmer Toolhead (#12258) for $49.99. Still don't know if they will work with standard Dillon size/trim dies. Check with Dillon or GSI.

GSI says that the vacuum port "will not work with the Dillon dies at the present time", however, they are "designing a ported toolhead that will work for the other dies".

Thanks

i use amax flat base all the time and I've never had to bell casing the trimmer tapers the inside of the case enough to sit for me at least