Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Picture - Where do you catch the dot?

JPG

Just started shooting open a few weeks ago (production shooter for 2 years before this), and am curious about where you all are catching the dot as you acquire sight picture?

Typically while I draw, I focus on the A zone of the first target I want to engage (assuming a draw from holster). My old habit is to have my sights 'appear' in the A zone, but I was curious if more proficient open shooters are catching the dot a little earlier.

So relative to a humanoid target, are you guys catching the dot in the low part of the C zone? D zone? A zone?

I write this knowing that part of the equation is getting used to my open gun, and being able to predict where the dot will appear.

For me I try to grip the gun the same way each time so the dot appears centered in the glass. I will usually draw to my natural point of aim if my grip is correct so the trick for me is to line that up with the target. On targets under 25 yrds I keep both eyes open and look where I want the dot to go. When I draw the dot usually lands close to where I'm looking and is pulled into where I have put my sharpest focus on the target.

If I draw and can't find the dot it's usually a grip issue.

Like others have pointed out, your focus being the center of the lower A zone, the dot will appear in the center of the sight window and the center of the A zone. It is simply automatic, time after time, every time. If, however, it varies from draw to draw, you have a grip issue . . . rather your grip is inconsistent.

It is important for all this to happen without thought. Your mind should be clear of any thoughts, while listening for that buzzer. Should you attempt to "think it through" as you wait for the buzzer, it will not go well. It must be a thoughtless reaction ;)