Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38/357 mag 135gr wad cutter issue

dc4ou

I have some Bayou 135 grain SBNWC for 38/357 magnum that I need load data on. I have 8 pounds of w231 that I would like to use for these loads. I have only loaded 9mm and 45 acp so I am not familiar with wadcutters. I have looked in numerous manuals but I cannot find any load data for this bullet.

First, can you shoot this bullet in a 357 magnum case? This bullet has a crimp groove. When you seat it down to the crimp groove on a 357 magnum, it makes the OAL a 1.430. I don't see any load data for anything that short. I have a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook on order in hopes that it will have some load data for a wadcutter. Does anyone have any loads for this bullet and powder? Where can you get load data for wadcutters?

Second, I have the same problem in 38 Special. The Lyman Reloading Handbook does have a similar shape bullet (#358091) but has it in 150 grain. I have not checked to see if the OAL works out. At least it gives me a place to start.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I have loaded 4.1 grains of 231 under the 135 grain button nose wadcutter with good results in 38 Special brass... For 357 Mag brass I would go an extra 2 tenths.

The load I shoot most is 3.5 grains of Clays with the same bullet. In my PPC and Bianchi revolvers it delivers inch at 50 yard accuracy.

I seat the bullet about 20 thou back from the front edge.PF is around 125 and recoil is nice in a bull barrel gun.

I am with Greg on this. But will add, I don't think that groove is designed as a crimp groove. If it is, it is useless and getting a crimp that is effective at preventing setback or bullet pull will destroy accuracy.

I seat with the leading edge of the side of the projectile just 0.010" to 0.020" (1/2mm - ish) clear of the case mouth and ease the case mouth in more than really crimp it, just slightly, essentially straighten the case and take the edge off. The case mouth is actually pressing gently against the full diameter of the projectile and leaves a tiny hairline on the projectile coating. You have to do a little testing to see what works best for you. I used 4.5gr of 231 in my 6" stock 686, made minor easily but that gave me the best results for accuracy. Recoil is mild at worst, muzzle flip is low.

Using slightly more powder in a longer case will deliver slightly more recoil that using a 38Special case. But the difference is very small. You can feel it because the amount of recoil with this load is so low in a 38Special case. Try Clays at 3.5gr and other than the noise and a hole in the Target you think you had a misfire.

Thank you guys for the information. I loaded up some at 4.0 grains and shot them today. They are definitely lighter than any factory loads. I may bump them up some. I need to chrono them to see how fast they are. I took your advice on the length and did not use the crimp ring. They were very accurate.

Where do you get load data for wad cutters? Donnie sent me some load data and he showed 4 being the max. He was saying to use the crimp ring and roll crimp a little. I am sure that would make a diference. I have spent hours trying to find some type of manual with load data for this bullet.

For online load data that is safe try Hogdgon. http://data.hodgdon.com/

I also have the Winchester 14th Edition 1995 Data Handbook. it shows 3.4gr of 231 with a Lead Wadcutter in 357mag at 880fps. Same book shows 3.0 gr for Hollow Base or Full Wadcuuter at 690fps in 38Special.

Buy any and all old reloading manuals. I have 15 or 20 here in my office, another 25 or so in the loading room and about 20 more at my shop. Some are duplicates as I am lazy and don't want to go back and forth for info.

Edited by gm iprod